Surgo is recruiting for an experienced Mandarin Speaking Medical Interpreter to join their remote team.
Candidates must be able to speak Mandarin and English. The interpreter facilitates communication between non-English speaking patients and healthcare providers or support personnel. This involves understanding what was said, extracting the underlying meaning and intent, and expressing the message in another language in a way that invokes the same meaning. The interpreter may also explain and/or teach cultural differences or practices to health system personnel.
- Well versed in both Mandarin and English (Speak, read, write)
- National Senior Certificate / or equivalent qualification
- SA Citizen / Valid Work Permit
- Successful completion of conversation/translation competency testing in secondary language
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology essential
- Previous experience in a Health Care setting preferred
- Ability to work remotely from home
- Ability to work shifts - 24/7 Rotational Shifts
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate as a neutral party in the role as conduit of information that must flow between the healthcare providers, or support personnel, and the International or Domestic patient/visitors.
- Ensure that information pertaining to the patient's outpatient services, hospitalization, (i.e. advance directives, consents from treatment, diagnosis and prognosis, treatment plan, follow-up appointments and Health Care Education) are accurately communicated.
- The patient's questions/concerns regarding this information is to be appropriately addressed and documented per Risk Management Directives.
- Provide interpreter services, and convey the exact message as opposed to summarizing the information in a way that is subjective. Provide required documentation as identified by the International Patient Center.
- Maintain accurate daily records on all requests for service as well as the provision of services. Maintain accurate and timely documentation within program database.
- Promote customer satisfaction related to client’s services; notify Supervisor of any issues that may be problematic for patients or client’s staff.
- Participate in continuing education programs and competency training to enhance professional role of International Medical escort. Ensure that all policies and procedures related to process, service, and employee work rules are followed. Maintain confidentiality in all matters related to patient care and visitor issues on non-English speaking patients/families/escorts.
- Participate in on call coverage to provide interpretation/translation services during non-business hours and business hours as assigned.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Market related, based on the level of experience
- Shift Allowance
- Monday to Sunday, rotational shifts 24/7 (TBC)
Should you wish to apply for the position, please apply directly via this job board, please ensure that you quote reference number 202355 subject heading or email body.
Surgo (Pty) Ltd will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity (EE) and is committed in maintaining diversity in its’ appointments. Surgo (Pty) Ltd, therefore also encourages people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply. Due to the high volume of applications, should you not receive feedback within three months upon submission, you can assume your application was unsuccessful and we encourage you to reapply.
Your CV will be kept on our database for us to contact you should any future vacancies become available. If you do not wish for us to keep your CV for any other positions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org