This is an outstanding opportunity for candidates experienced in lease administration and lease audit. Our client is a leader worldwide in their business model and has a winning, associate-friendly culture.
Position Title: Mgr, Prop Management - Lease Compliance
Department: Real Estate
Reports To: Director of Prop Mgmt and Lease Admin
Exemption Status: Exempt
Responsible for lease compliance of all 1500+ of our client's stores, managing and supervising property managers, lease compliance, including but not limited to: maintain monthly rents and NNN charges; liaison between District Managers/Vice President of Regional Operations and landlords on store maintenance issues; monitor operating costs associated with common area maintenance, property taxes, insurance and other costs; and interpret lease terms and conditions for District Managers/Vice President of Regional Operations and accounting department as needed. Supervise lease renewal documentation, store closings and lease expirations. Also responsible for the management of departmental database, and lease audit function of the department.
Essential Job Functions: The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
· Develop and manage auditing programs targeted at recovering lease overcharges.
· Monitor all lease violations and assists Property Managers, Lease Compliance in negotiation with landlords for timely resolution of all issues.
· Address problematic lease clauses and provide recommended language.
· Manage co-tenancy process as well as report violations and potential violations monthly to Accounting, Marketing, Auditors, Real Estate Directors and, Executives.
· Ensure that Projects Coordinator obtains annual tenant rosters, corresponds and follows up with Landlords to obtain relevant information.
· Ensure integrity of database in regards to co-tenants and clauses; alternate rent terms; and termination date (if applicable.)
· Respond to inquiries regarding lease rights and explanation of lease terminology from outside departments on behalf of Property Managers.
· Provide guidance to direct reports as questions arise regarding auditing issues.
· Analyze data such as lease terms and provisions, determine appropriate course of action and negotiate and implement solutions.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise Real Estate Directors and Legal Dept. of unfavorable lease language related to occupancy costs and recommend improvements when leases are up for renewal or renegotiation
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
- Act as a leader and mentor to develop team members by providing constructive feedback to team.
- Perform top-down review of occupancy expenses to identify audit opportunities.
Nature of Supervision:
General instruction is provided on some, but not all tasks to be performed. In addition, the Manager, Property Management – Lease Compliance is responsible for completing non-routine assignments and projects that may last for extended periods of time without regular supervisory guidance or direction.
Planning and Problem Solving:
Manager, Property Management – Lease Compliance must plan for on-time and accurate completion of the annual budgets, setting deadlines and following up with direct reports to make sure the deadlines will be met. Also must plan to be sure all payables are made as required by the leases.
Position is partially responsible for the occupancy budget of over $400,000,000.00. Also responsible for the NNN auditing, which saves the company over $1,000,000.00 per year
Supervisory Responsibility: Directly manage lower level Real Estate staff. Responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, mentoring/coaching, providing functional guidance, assignment delegation and follow-through, and, partnering with Human Resources, discipline up to and including termination.
Education/Experience: The incumbent must have a four-year college degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience, with a strong accounting background preferred. A qualified applicant will also have a thorough knowledge of and experience in CAM auditing, Co-Tenancy review and “NNN” leases, cost accounting and other lease administration functions including rent commencement activities, and a strong working knowledge of lease terminology and practices so can act as liaison between RE personnel and landlord. Position requires excellent written and verbal communication, negotiation and organizational skills and the ability to negotiate disputes while maintaining good relationships with the landlords and to interact with managers in other Petco departments to develop and maintain best practices. A minimum of five years experience in professional level commercial real estate, construction and property management is required. A minimum of five years supervisory experience required. A qualified applicant will also have excellent written and verbal communication, negotiation and organizational skills.
- Analyze Information - Gathers and analyzes the most critical information needed to understand problems. Identifies the key issues in complex or ambiguous problems. Breaks down problems into manageable components. Recognizes symptoms that indicate problems.
- Demonstrate Credibility - Follows through on commitments. Is honest and direct in dealing with people. Acts consistently with stated policies and practices. Does not disclose confidential information.
- Plan and Execute Efficiently - Develops realistic plans (e.g., action steps, timelines) to accomplish objectives (e.g., optimizing staffing schedules). Plans and manages his/her own and others’ time, based on business priorities, and follows up to ensure all work requirements are completed in a timely and accurate manner. Holds him/herself and team accountable for outcomes (e.g., achieving goals and complying with policies and procedures). Anticipates and addresses obstacles, redirecting efforts to accelerate the work or improve quality.
- Seek Customer Satisfaction -Ensures the accurate understanding of customer needs (e.g., ensures that customer-facing employees ask key questions). Seeks feedback from customers to identify improvement opportunities. Ensures follow-up with customers to confirm problems are solved. Continually searches for ways to improve customer service (including the removal of barriers, and providing solutions).
- Select and Develop - Identifies and recruits/refers qualified people. Makes accurate evaluations of people's capabilities and fit. Provides honest, helpful feedback to others on their performance. Provides coaching and guidance where appropriate to enhance others' skill development.
- Use Appropriate Judgment - Makes sound decisions regarding everyday issues and problems. Chooses from alternatives based on consideration of pros, cons, tradeoffs, timing, and available resources. Evaluates the impact or consequences of actions and decisions (e.g., impacts on sales, customer satisfaction). Makes timely decisions regarding problems/issues requiring immediate attention.
Due to the nature of this position, the Manager, Property Management - Lease Compliance will have a great deal of contact both within and outside the company, ranging anywhere from the routine exchange of information to negotiation of lease renewals and the resolution of complex problems. Contacts within the Company will consist primarily with the Directors of Operation, District Managers, Accounting, and Director of Property Management and Lease Administration, while outside contacts will consist of landlords and property managers and their attorneys.