MANAGER - DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERING - www.nafor.com/hamilton
- Let's build your future. In Hamilton, your ideas won't just flow; they'll cascade into projects that impact lives like a well-engineered watermain. Be the architect of change, ensuring that Hamilton's foundations are rock-solid and your future is structured for success. Come work on drainage solutions so innovative they'll make you say, "pipe-dreams really do come true!" (all puns intended)SUMMARY
Reporting to the Director, Development Engineering, manages and directs a multi-functional workforce engaged in engineering review and approval related to development applications.
Accountable for establishing and achieving sectional goals and objectives through the effective and efficient use of financial and staff resources. The Manager shall ensure that engineering review activities are delivered in accordance with City Procedures and Policies and Provincial Legislation and in a cost effective, efficient and timely manner using a "best practices" approach.
The Manager of Engineering Approvals will provide leadership to subordinate staff in a team environment that will co-ordinate and provide expert advice regarding engineering review and engineering approvals related to development applications, such as Official Plan amendments, subdivisions/condominiums, zoning amendments and site plan applications, and related policies and projects undertaken to meet the needs of residents and businesses of the City of Hamilton.
The Manager shall ensure that the engineering review and approval processes is implemented in accordance with City and Provincial requirements and direct the formulation of new City policies and procedures concerning planning services in the most effective and efficient manner within the City’s strategic goals and values.
Prepares Sectional business plans, budgets and reports to ensure and report on how the engineering review and approval services are performed against established benchmarks and corporate procedures, including financial administration and financial performance.
Provides strong technical leadership, professional expertise, communication ability, innovation and creativity, to Council, and Advisory Committees l, staff guidance, team advocacy and empowerment and a commitment to results.SALARY RANGE
- $116,000 to $145,500BENEFITS
- Full Benefits - Medical, Dental, TravelPENSION
Pension - The value of this pension at retirement could be worth approx. $58,200/yr after 20 years or $72,750/yr after 25 years. Call me to discuss. It is lucrative. LOCATION
- Hamilton City Hall - 71 Main St W, Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5TYPE
- Onsite - The role requires you to primarily work with your team at City Hall and in the field. There is modest flexibility to work from home on occasion. This is not a remote or hybrid role. HOURS
- 35 Hours per weekFULL TIME
- Ensures excellence in the quality of new development in the City of Hamilton.
- Provides creative leadership and project direction to staff working on engineering review and approval. Ensures working relationships embody the corporation’s culture and values through direct interaction and influence on staff of all Departments with mandate interest in development.
- Promotes teamwork or other forms of integration between units of the Growth Management Division with other parties, internal and external, taking a lead role in directing projects in a cross-functional and cross program work environment.
- Promotes a service-oriented culture, focusing on time and cost-effective delivery of projects and services.
- Develops staff through delegation and empowerment providing regular feedback, technical direction and professional development while encouraging staff’s decision-making processes, where appropriate.
- Ensures engineering review and approval services and projects are cost effective, timely and in compliance with relevant legislation. Monitors the evolution of municipal, provincial and federal legislation and policy.
- Designs and implements City plans and policies with respect to engineering review and approval under the Growth Management Division, work program and budget.
- Makes recommendations to the Director on project priorities, resources and related cost and staffing implications.
- Designs and manages inter-Departmental and inter-Divisional work projects that include public meetings to formulate, present and justify the City’s position, past and proposed actions to citizens, the media and outside government bodies.
- Participates and regularly acts as a spokesperson for the City in discussions and presentations on engineering issues related to new development.
- Works with the Director to respond to issues and queries raised by Council, as channeled through the office of the Director of Growth Management and Chief Development Engineer.
- Assist the Growth Management Division and the Planning and Economic Development Department in delivering on the City’s climate change objectives.
- Assist the Growth Management Division and the Planning and Economic Development Department in delivering on the City’s objectives with respect to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Participates on various corporate committees as required.
- Recommends project priorities, research and policy development methods, data requirements and consultation techniques for engineering studies and infrastructure design standards and submission requirements.
- Receives and answers inquiries of a technical nature from public, staff, other departments, municipal and other government agencies related to major responsibilities.
- Writes reports, composes correspondence, monitors consultant and budget performance of development engineering-related projects related to major responsibilities.
- Provides expert testimony to support the City’s position on engineering issues at hearings of the Ontario Land Tribunal.
- Directs and supervises professional and technical engineering staff and support staff.
- Develops and recommends corporate policies, implementation programs and procedures related to major responsibilities.
- Provides input related to departmental current and capital budgets.
- Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
- Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
- A University Degree in Civil Engineering and considerable experience at a senior level of responsibility in Municipal Development Engineering and Engineering Design.
- Must be licensed as a Professional Engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario or demonstrate equivalent qualifications.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is an asset.
- Highly developed ability to articulate a vision to lead and inspire others.
- Proven experience to articulate a variety of engineering concepts and practices to staff and public in verbal, graphic and written media. Highly effective in group leadership, facilitation, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of statutes, regulations and by-laws affecting the department/division including: Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, Municipal Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act and Environmental Protection Act.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multi-disciplinary projects and staff in results oriented and primarily unionized environment.
- Experience in designing and delivering customer focused programs and services.
- Possesses a demonstrated record of strong leadership and guidance, customer focus, innovation/creativity, team · advocacy, staff delegation, empowerment and staff development and is results oriented.
- Ability to deal effectively with elected officials, representatives of other levels of government, media, management, peers and the general public.
- Knowledge of the collective bargaining and consultant service procurement processes.
- Working knowledge of relevant computer software applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
HAMILTON IS WHERE INNOVATION GOES TO WORK - Hamilton has one of Canada's most diversified economies, the fastest growing mid-sized city for tech talent and a fantastic community approach to supporting investment big and small.
Hamilton was built around a legacy of advanced manufacturing, which continues to be a major contributor to the local economy. Additional technologically-advanced industries have grown naturally to support the manufacturing cluster, creating a community that embraces cutting-edge science and technology. Hamilton is also home to world-class universities, colleges, and research-intensive companies that have created an ideal environment for new product development and innovation. Industry and academia work together in Hamilton to lower commercialization costs and bring products to market. Startups and entrepreneurs thrive in this hard-working, high-tech city, where the cost of entry is very competitive with other tech-centric cities in the region.
Hamilton is one of Canada's largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees.
Vision - To be the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
Mission - To provide high quality cost conscious public services that contribute to a healthy, safe and prosperous community, in a sustainable manner.
CONTACT: Jeff Richmond email@example.com (416) 238-6400
TO APPLY: Please go to: https://www.nafor.com/hamilton.html or use the links below.
Hamilton is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Jeff Richmond at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
Click here to apply online