Magellan Aerospace Blackpool has an exciting opportunity for a Maintenance Apprentice.
Please apply by uploading your cv along with a supporting letter stating why you are interested in the apprenticeship.
- 3 year fixed term apprentice contract
- College day release through Blackpool & The Fylde College
- 38 hours per week
- Monday – Thursday 7:30am – 4:30pm / Friday 7:30am – 1:30pm
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, and defence and space agencies worldwide.
Through work experience, studying, coaching, training and development (both practical and vocational) the maintenance apprentice will develop skills in undertaking preventative and reactive maintenance by completing a course of study and obtain work related professional qualifications over 3 years. A structured onsite training plan, will provide the apprentices with the ability to ensure they are able to carry out duties competently and effectively within a pre-determined timeframe.
The apprenticeship is competency led working to achieve a Level 4 Engineering Manufacturing Technician qualification covering both mechanical and electrical disciplines.
Perks and Benefits
- A company culture that promotes work life balance
- Access to mental health support
- Business performance related bonus
- Career development opportunities
- Commitment to continued learning and development
- Perkbox - includes monthly treats and discounts from selected restaurants, cinemas, shops etc
- Long Service Awards
- Enhanced Holiday Entitlement based on length of service
- Free parking
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To undertake a range of tasks suited to the current level of training and development attending college where required and ensuring course work is completed on time, to a high standard with accurate content. Fully participate in regular development reviews with management and mentors.
- Develop mechanical engineering skills in a structured manner including how to carry out preventative and reactive maintenance requirements on a daily basis.
- Learn how to undertake daily checks on the machines and plant equipment ensuring they remain in good working order and how to carry out routine servicing in line with maintenance schedules.
- Support the maintenance team on site with machines installations and equipment movement projects.
- Develop the ability to work with minimum supervision whilst also forming part of the on-site maintenance team
- Obtain both electrical and mechanical knowledge of a variety of CNC and Conventional machines, tooling and workplace equipment.
- Learn how to select and use the correct tooling, materials and equipment to carry out maintenance tasks in order to successfully carry out the engineering operation required.
- Learn how to work in a safe manner when carrying out maintenance activities complying with all required health & safety legislation and safe systems of work requirements including lock out procedures and hazard identification.
- To comply with all Health & Safety policies and procedures including Risk Assessments for your working areas and to work in a safe and diligent manner at all times.
- To undertake additional duties in line with capabilities as required.
- Maintain good housekeeping in the work area and actively support the continuous improvement programme.
Skills / Knowledge Requirements
- 5 GCSE grades 4 and above to include Maths, English and Science or equivalent key skills
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in an engineering related discipline
- Demonstrates a logical and practical approach to tasks
- Takes opportunities to learn new technical skills
- Puts off the job learning into practice at work Gains experience and qualifications to improve technical competence
- Takes on additional responsibilities once suitably qualified and/or trained
- Ability to problem solve
- Extended industry placement or some industry experience
- Provides creative but practical solutions to problems
- Participates and makes constructive suggestions for solutions and improvements
- Treats others with dignity and respect
- Communicates well (verbally and in writing) with colleagues and clients
- Works harmoniously with others, helping to generate a positive team atmosphere
- Builds effective working relationships
- Takes ownership of personal development
- A general interest in Aerospace industry or Manufacturing desirable
- Personable, organised with the ability to multi-task and deliver to agreed timescales.
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan, we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!