As a recognized leader in our field, The Guidance Center provides a broad range of services that have helped children, adults and families unlock potential and build better lives for more than 60 years. With 25 programs we offer treatment, prevention, growth and education services to more than 23,000 people annually. Together we: Nurture development. Foster resilience. Cultivate well-being.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Maintenance Apprentice to join our team of talented professionals.
The Maintenance Apprentice is responsible for the following duties:
- Building rounds to assure that building systems are fully functioning throughout the agency and to take corrective measures to resolve identified concerns, reporting any variances or safety issues.
- Complete work orders for minor repairs of plumbing, electrical, furnishings, patching and painting, repairing flooring, maintaining doors and hardware, concrete patching.
- Complete custodial tasks as assigned throughout the agency to assure health, safety and environmental standards are achieved, including floor care and minor biohazard clean-up response.
- Assembly of furniture and fixtures, event set-ups/takedowns as needed.
- Perform preventive maintenance tasks for HVAC and other building systems as assigned; prefer experience changing filters, belts and lubrication.
- Communicate effectively with outside vendors and contractors for completion of specialized work, in consultation with Superintendent of Buildings.
- Fulfillment of programs support initiatives for partner agencies, tenants and agency staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Regular working schedule is expected to be Monday through Friday, day time hours although agency and program needs will occasionally require evening, night, weekend or holiday hours including the potential for emergency on-call work.
To qualify for this position, you will need:
- A High School diploma or GED.
- Essential functions of the position require the ability to lift/push/pull/carry up to 50 pounds, climb ladders, squat, bend and reach repetitively throughout a 7.5 hour shift with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Candidate must have a minimum of a year of experience in a maintenance or custodial-oriented position with at least a year of experience in minor building repairs, including: prepping and painting walls, floor care, installing ceiling tiles, maintaining doors and hardware, and furniture/fixture assembly.
- Must have some commercial experience in working with plumbing, electrical, trouble-shooting electronic climate control and lighting systems.
- Must have a current driver’s license with a good driving record and reliable transportation to travel swiftly between locations.
- Demonstrate competence working with others including staff, clients and community.
- Must have good organizational skills and the ability to work both independently and with others.
- Additional requirements include a nonjudgmental approach that reflects cultural competency and sensitivity to the unique needs of the diverse programs and populations our agency serves.
- Must have the ability to engage and maintain relationships with staff members, donors and members of the community at large.
- Must exhibit a willingness to be helpful, flexible, patient with the ability to satisfactorily learn and demonstrate new skills.
The Guidance Center believes that our team members are our most valuable resources, and we invest in them accordingly. We offer our employees a competitive salary, health/dental/vision benefits, 401(k), Life Insurance, a generous paid time off package, flexible scheduling opportunities, a team-oriented work environment and much more!
If you are interested in becoming part of our world-class team, please submit your resume on-line by clicking the “apply” button on the bottom of the screen.
The Guidance Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Click here to apply online