Essential Job Functions
SUMMARY: This position is part of the Logistics and Supply Chain organization with direct accountability to the Transportation Management teams.
Responsible for leading the Transportation team in the development and execution of the goals and objectives of Transportation. Leads a team of dedicated team members providing developmental guidance and strategic direction. Evaluates, recommends, and implements strategies to drive transportation improvements, supply chain optimization initiatives and third-party provider and vendor performance. Builds a network of industry and professional contacts to ensure relevance with the initiatives.
It supports the transportation team through critical thinking and data analysis to drive continuous customer value. It serves as a key point of contact for Sales, Planners, Customers, and Distribution for order management and validation, launch and promotional allocations, and service level detail. Extensive interaction with numerous internal and external teams will be required to deliver expected results.
- Attract, develop, and manage a highly skilled and motivated team capable of supporting current and future company transportation needs.
- Help to develop, document, and execute a comprehensive transportation plan to drive optimal customer service and profitability across the business, incorporating transportation and vendor relations as well as strategic feedback to company management.
- Direct investigations to verify and resolve customer or shipper questions or issues.
- Provide expertise and capacity to rapidly assess and address emerging business issues as they arise.
- Reviews/analyzes logistics, quality, and operational processes, proposing changes, as needed, to insure a high level of service to customers. Prepares and presents reports concerning activities, expenses, budgets, government statutes and rulings and other items affecting services.
- Monitor’s transportation vendors performance levels, recommends improvements or service enhancements, and takes necessary action to resolve issues.
- Lead the efforts to plan, manage and successfully execute transportation initiatives including providing day-to-day leadership and direction to resources working on such initiatives.
- Work with internal teams to establish a carrier strategy for distribution centers across North America, Canada, and Mexico providing domestic and international transportation capacity.
- Provide knowledge and understanding of asset-based fleet management operations, import & export operations, and import compliance with a deep understanding of DOT and other regulatory agency compliance.
- Achieve transportation operating plan goals through management of cost/service performance metrics.
- Conduct regular reviews of internal and external transportation requirements.
- Conduct regular survey of market available transportation services and pricing to assure current rates are competitive.
- Support KIK TMS optimization and enhancements to ensure effectiveness of its operation for internal users.
- Responsible for the optimization of transportation programs for all company locations.
- Monitor and communicate performance metrics to ensure successful fulfillment, effective risk mitigation, timely escalations, and continuous improvement.
- Evaluate and review the company’s logistics operations business practices, update and develop process documentation, streamline opportunities, and eliminate non-value-added activities.
- Ensure the existence, maintenance, and functioning of an adequate system of internal controls in all functional areas of the Transportation department.
- Facilitate and improve coordination within the Operations department and other departments (e.g., Sales, Accounting, Finance, and IT).
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- B.S degree in Supply Chain or related field.
- 6+ years supply chain operations and distribution experience.
- Strong analytical skills and statistical knowledge. Understanding of multiple regression models.
- Demonstrated communication, collaboration, and leadership skills. Proven ability to work and influence at multiple levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated experience in an ERP system – JDEdwards strongly preferred.
- Proficient user of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is required.
- Excellent written/verbal communications and strong analytical/problem solving skills
- Strong sense of self-motivation and ability to work both independently and in a team setting. Must also be able to multitask and prioritize efficiently.
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems.