TITLE: Library Service Manager - Toronto Public Library (Posting # Pending)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, March 30th, 2021 by 5:00 pm (ET). Candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and initial interviews may begin before the application deadline is reached. All candidates who apply by the deadline will be considered equally.
LOCATION: Pape / Danforth Branch - Office Located at: 1675 Danforth Ave., Toronto, ON M4C 5P2
TO APPLY: Please go to: https://www.nafor.com/tpl or use the links below.
OVERVIEW: Library Service Manager - One position available
The Toronto Public Library is the busiest urban public library system in the world. Busier than the New York, Chicago or Los Angeles public libraries. There were over 18 million visits last year. That’s more than the Scotiabank Arena, CN Tower, AGO and the ROM combined. Your core mandate revolves around helping to expand access, increase opportunities, and build connections with over 2 million Torontonian's who use the system each year. On average users receive $500 worth of services annually which contributes $1 billion to Toronto’s economy. This role includes a comprehensive long-term benefits package with an OMERS pension plan plus health, dental, life Insurance and more. As part of the Branch Operations and Customer Experience (BOCE) team at the Library you will help to:
- Deliver day to day customer service, community outreach, programs and operations;
- Manage a workforce of over 60-80 staff to help deliver efficient library services; and
- Oversee capital planning and implementation, and building operations for the facilities in this area
Reporting to the Area Manager (Don Mills/Pape-Danforth/S. Walter Stewart Branch Operations and Customer Experience) the Library Service Manager for the Pape/Danforth area is responsible for the management of a cluster of branches and corporate projects. In the branch setting, the Library Service Manager oversees a district branch along with 4 or 5 neighbourhood branches. You will oversee approximately 60-80 staff.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the daily operations and services of departments or branches;
- Effectively communicate policies, programs and services to internal and external stakeholders;
- Ensure the achievement of goals and objectives for the area of responsibility;
- Recommend annual budget allocations and maintain budget control;
- Assume responsibility for the department or area in the absence of the Area Manager;
- Hire new staff, transfer, promote, approve wage increases and confirm performance evaluations;
- Discipline, terminate, participate in grievance procedures and administer collective agreements as required;
- Manage training, development and supervision of all levels of staff in the area of responsibility;
- Represent the Library in appropriate community and professional organizations;
- Design, manage and monitor performance measures for the area of responsibility;
- Plan and manage the annual delivery of programs, events, displays and exhibits appropriate to the designated community;
- Contribute to service development and delivery through leadership in system committees or projects; and
- Ensure safe and welcoming facilities and environments.
- Post graduate university degree in library or information science from an accredited program, or a recognized library degree equivalent - (Preferred);
- Experience in managing a team of professional and support staff, preferably in the area of responsibility;
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships and collaborative work approaches;
- Committed to providing efficient, responsive and innovative service to clients;
- Demonstrated capacity for problem solving, results orientation and creativity;
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills;
- Superior facilitation and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of developments in library field and relevant legislation;
- Proven ability in managing change.
Approximately $98,000 to $104,000 and includes a comprehensive long-term benefits package with an OMERS pension plan plus health, dental, life Insurance and more.
ABOUT THE TORONTO PUBLIC LIBRARY:
The Toronto Public Library is the busiest urban public library system in the world. Every year, we have millions of users visiting our branches and taking advantage of our online services. We empower Torontonians to thrive in the digital age and global knowledge economy. With expanded access to technology, lifelong learning and diverse cultural and leisure experiences, Torontonians have increased opportunities for growth and success, as well as stronger connections to each other and their communities.
Vision - Toronto Public Library will be recognized as the world's leading library by informing and inspiring Toronto and its communities, making us all more resilient, more knowledgeable, more connected and more successful.
Mission - Toronto Public Library provides free and equitable access to services which meet the changing needs of Torontonians. The Library preserves and promotes universal access to a broad range of human knowledge, experience, information and ideas in a welcoming and supportive environment.
Equity: Accessibility, respect and fairness
Diversity: Valuing individual needs, experiences and differences
Intellectual Freedom: Guaranteeing and facilitating the free exchange of information and ideas in a democratic society, protecting intellectual freedom and respecting individuals' rights to privacy and choice
Innovation: Encouraging creativity, experimentation and the generation of ideas
Inclusion: Welcoming participation in decision making and service development by residents and communities
Integrity: Open, transparent and honest in all our dealings
Accountability: Taking responsibility for our actions and the services we provide
Service Orientation: Providing excellent, responsive services
The Toronto Public Library invites applications from all qualified individuals. The Library is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.CONTACT: Jeff Richmond email@example.com 1-866-222-6400
TO APPLY: Please go to: https://www.nafor.com/tpl or use the links below.Click here to apply online