Application Deadline: Thursday, November 18th, 2021 at 11:59 pm (ET)
NEW POSTING - TPL Job ID: 21-750
Library Service Manager - Malvern District
OVERVIEW: The Toronto Public Library is North America’s busiest urban public library system. The library employs approximately 2,400 staff, providing high quality library services to the people of Toronto across 100 public locations. The organization is an independent Board of the City of Toronto. Every year more than 19 million people visit its 100 branches, more than 26 million visitors access its website, and roughly 32 million items are borrowed. Over 72% of Torontonians use the library and 1.2 million people are registered Library cardholders. Collections comprise over 11 million items including books, eBooks and DVDs, with over 100 languages represented in the diverse library materials.
JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to an Area Manager the Library Service Manager is responsible for the management of a cluster of departments, several branches and system-wide projects and initiatives. In the Research & Reference setting, the Library Service Manager oversees several large departments within the same building, while in the branch setting, the Library Service Manager oversees a District branch along with 4 or 5 neighbourhood branches. In both cases, the Library Service Manager oversees approximately 60-80 staff.
- Manage the daily operations and services of departments or branches;
- Effectively communicate policies, programs and services to internal and external stakeholders;
- Ensure the achievement of goals and objectives for the area of responsibility;
- Recommend annual budget allocations and maintain budget control;
- Assume responsibility for the department or area in the absence of the Area Manager;
- Hire new staff, transfer, promote, approve wage increases and confirm performance evaluations;
- Discipline, terminate, participate in grievance procedures and administer collective agreements as required;
- Manage training, development and supervision of all levels of staff in the area of responsibility;
- Represent the Library in appropriate community and professional organizations;
- Design, manage and monitor performance measures for the area of responsibility;
- Plan and manage the annual delivery of programs, events, displays and exhibits appropriate to the designated community;
- Contribute to service development and delivery through leadership in system committees or projects; and
- Ensure safe and welcoming facilities and environments.
- Postgraduate university degree in library or information science from an accredited program, or a recognized library degree equivalent
- Experience in managing a team of professional and support staff, preferably in the area of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships and collaborative work approaches
- Committed to providing efficient, responsive and innovative service to clients
- Demonstrated capacity for problem-solving, results orientation and creativity
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills
- Superior facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of developments in the library field and relevant legislation
- Proven ability in managing change.
: Designated Area ManagerSALARY RANGE:
$95,596.80 - $112,312.20 per annum and includes a comprehensive long-term benefits package with an OMERS pension plan plus health, dental, life insurance and more. (2021 Rates, Wage Grade 7)
ABOUT THE TORONTO PUBLIC LIBRARY:
The Toronto Public Library is North America’s busiest urban public library system. Every year, we have millions of users visiting our branches and taking advantage of our online services. We empower Torontonians to thrive in the digital age and global knowledge economy. With expanded access to technology, lifelong learning and diverse cultural and leisure experiences, Torontonians have increased opportunities for growth and success, as well as stronger connections to each other and their communities.
Vision: Toronto Public Library will be recognized as the world's leading library by informing and inspiring Toronto and its communities, making us all more resilient, more knowledgeable, more connected and more successful.
Mission: Toronto Public Library provides free and equitable access to services that meet the changing needs of Torontonians. The Library preserves and promotes universal access to a broad range of human knowledge, experience, information and ideas in a welcoming and supportive environment.
- Equity: Accessibility, respect and fairness
- Diversity: Valuing individual needs, experiences and differences
- Intellectual Freedom: Guaranteeing and facilitating the free exchange of information and ideas in a democratic society, protecting intellectual freedom and respecting individuals' rights to privacy and choice
- Innovation: Encouraging creativity, experimentation and the generation of ideas
- Inclusion: Welcoming participation in decision making and service development by residents and communities
- Integrity: Open, transparent and honest in all our dealings
- Accountability: Taking responsibility for our actions and the services we provide
- Service Orientation: Providing excellent, responsive services
The Toronto Public Library invites applications from all qualified individuals. The Library is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process. COVID-19 vaccines are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code. TPL Posting #21-750
CONTACT: Jeff Richmond firstname.lastname@example.org (416) 238-6400
TO APPLY: Please go to: https://www.nafor.com/tpl or use the links below.Click here to apply online