The Liability Claims Adjuster position is responsible for the analysis and adjustment of minor to moderate commercial claims.
- Verify coverage as new losses are received.
- Adjust claims on an inside basis including investigating, evaluating, negotiating, documenting, and validating to conclusion within authority level.
- Work with attorneys assigned in the defense of insured and attend mediations and trials as a representative of the company as needed.
- Communicate with interested parties (i.e. insured, claimants, agents, attorneys, repair shops, lien holders) as appropriate.
- Monitor, with management consent, approved independent adjusters and attorneys in the field.
- Establish and maintain reserves and communicate with management, when appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Competencies: Included in the following section are competencies related to this position. Competencies may include core, position specific, and leadership competencies.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of customers. Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Organizational Perspective: Demonstrates an understanding of the link between one’s own job responsibilities and overall organizational goals and needs, and performs one’s job with the broader goals in mind. Demonstrates understanding of the overall business---its goals, purpose, functions, competition, etc---which helps increase employee commitment and interest.
Position Specific Competencies:
- Communication Skills: Uses oral, written, presentation and listening skills to clearly get messages across. Encourages the free flow of information and open communication. Looks to others for help in building and increasing one’s own understanding. Is viewed as accessible by others.
- Directing Outside Vendors: Establishes and communicates objectives and strategies when working with people outside the organization that supply services to the organization. Manages quality of vendor work to meet organizational requirements.
- Negotiating: Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with others. Can settle differences with minimum fuss. Can win concessions without damaging relationships. Can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic. Gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations. Has a good sense of timing.
Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree and three years’ experience required or five years claims handling experience required. Adjuster’s license required. All internal candidates must have manager approval before submitting an application.
Experience/Specialized Skills: Minimum of three years adjuster experience and Bachelor’s degree required, or five years claims handling experience required. Familiarity with basic insurance and tort law, understanding of basic legal principles and terminology as it relates to insurance operations and knowledge of basic medical terminology and procedures required. Intermediate computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, Internet, e-mail) required.
Physical Requirements: Constant use of vision, hearing, and communication (oral and written in person and via telephone). Frequent concentration, standing, walking, handling, reaching, and grasping. Occasional bending, kneeling and lifting (up to 25 lbs.). Heavy use of computer and office equipment.
Travel/Hours of Service: Occasional travel may be required. Periodic work outside of standard business hours or on weekends may be required.