The Key Account Manager will be the key point of contact between our company and national / multinational North American based customers.
This position reports to the VP of Sales and is located at the facility in Vernon Hills, IL.
The key account manager responsibilities:
1. Maintain relationship with key, national or multinational customers;
• Working with leaders inside the organizations to facilitate customer goals through facility expansion or modification with our company’s equipment and services.
• Organize spare parts and services to maintain the key accounts operations.
• Provide expertise, recommendations and troubleshooting for products and systems delivered from our company in the past.
2. Prepare proposals and bid documents in response to requests for proposals.
3. Lead contract negotiations for new business or issue resolution.
4. Develop and present product and system concepts to customers with varying levels of responsibility and competence; i.e. develop and present financial arguments to plant management and accountants.
Responsibilities within our company:
1. Preparation of detail cost estimates based on internal developed costs or quotations from outside vendors. Cost estimates to facilitate proposal development and project budget management.
2. Champion projects inside our company. See section below. explaining scope, timing, cost, and technology concerns. Transition projects from sales to project management.
3. Champion innovation and progression from the status quo inside our company, including development efforts with our German parent company and our international subsidiaries.
4. Support company marketing activities, through sales development/ review, online document development, competitor analysis and related activities.
5. Maintain internal documents such as customer database, proposal development software, document library, etc.
6. Participate in industry conferences and expositions including international industry specific conferences; attend or lead seminars at these conferences, provide sales / technical support at our conference booth.
7. Champion projects inside our company; explaining scope, timing, cost, and technology concerns. Transition projects from sales to project management.
Project responsibilities for the key account manager:
1. Generate the sale:
• Define project scope and price.
• Define deliverables for the project.
• Finalize contract documents, terms and conditions, delivery milestones, acceptance criteria, etc.
• Lead engineering effort as necessary to define “non-standard” deliverables.
2. Lead project initiation:
• Lead kick off meeting to transmit relevant information (scope, color, delivery dates…) to key PB Team members.
• Develop and transmit confirmation of order, introducing PM and finance manager.
• Transmit, with finance manager, down payment invoice.
• Work with purchasing and PW sales to kick off project at PW as necessary.
3. Involve yourself as necessary during the project:
• Participate in project meetings when possible.
• Review customer documents before transmission as applicable.
• Ensure customer requirements are clear within company.
• Generate and transmit Change Orders when required (minor change orders may be transmitted by PM as appropriate).
• Provide high level guidance to make sure key milestones are met at quality standard, i.e. FAT completed, equipment shipped on time, product quality correct.
• Quote installation and commissioning services as required. Coordinate service requirements with service manager, introduce service manager with quote.
• Introduce spare parts manager with spare parts quote.
• Negotiate and resolve any post project issues, i.e. acceptance criteria, back charges, penalties, punch list will be managed by the PM.
• Degreed (BS or MS) Engineer in Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical.
• 10 years of experience in the process industry preferred.
• Relevant coffee or cocoa process experience ideal.
• Ability to travel up to 50%, International and Domestic.
• Ability to design, estimate, negotiate and sell material process and handling, roasting and particle size equipment and process systems/projects, which also incorporates the use of controls.
• Familiarity with current control technologies for processes and facilities is a definite plus.
• Ability to read, comprehend and apply specifications (Customer requests for quotation, NFPA standards, OSHA standards, CSA, and others).
• Ability to read and re-apply information and standard from engineering drawings.
• Ability to create spreadsheet analysis of costs, capacity, energy usage, process emissions or another subject.
• Persuasive writing and oral communication skills; the ability to summarize and present date in concise and persuasive arguments.
• Ability to summarize research in reports and proposals for customers.
The compensation package for this position is commensurate with experience and includes an attractive base salary with annual bonus incentive and a competitive benefits package.