Magellan Aerospace, Bournemouth has an exciting opportunity for an Interim Health and Safety Specialist
- Full Time 9 Month Fixed Term Contract
- 37.5 hours per week.
- Job location: 510 Wallisdown Road, Bournemouth, BH11 8QN
- Unionised site – works in partnership with Unite the Union.
The focus of this role is to support the site transition from an operational manufacturing site through partial closure to a residual treatments and paint facility.
As the Health and Safety Specialist you will play a critical role in supporting the Site Management and Regional EHS Manager to achieve EHS requirements through this transition.
You will engage with the site operational and supporting stakeholders to ensure all EHS related issues are managed in compliance with relevant legislation and best practices.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Company pension plan
- On site bonus scheme
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Discounts available with selected mobile companies
- Discounts available with selected gym membership
- Employee Advantages Scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Occupational Health and ergonomics focused
- Extended paid Holiday Entitlement based on length of service
- Free parking
Key elements of this will be supporting Site Closure team in:
- Safely moving of machinery and understanding Machinery Directive requirements for machine removal, sale or disposal
- Supporting Contractor Management processes Inc checking RAMS, etc.
- Supporting maintenance operations ,
- Support maintaining compliance requirements and supporting transition to future state business
- Ability to facilitate / write up Dynamic risk assessments
- Support COVID secure site requirements
Core role requirements
- Assist the Regional Health & Safety Manager to ensure delivery of safety performance in line with personal, team and functional goals and objectives.
- Integrate with the site Senior Management Team to provide advice, support and guidance on all matters relating to health, safety and the environment.
- Support accident/incident investigations and reports, carry out trend/root cause analysis and ensure corrective actions are implemented.
- Provide accurate and timely information and reports regarding site health and safety performance to the regional Health & Safety Manager.
- Coordinate, facilitate and/or arrange training programs/courses in accordance with global EHS training requirements.
- Maintain the records, documents and standards required for ISO14001, OHSAS 18001/ISO 45001 and third party audits.
- Create, issue and review safety alerts, toolbox talks and one point task lessons to implement and disseminate policies, procedures and standards.
- Arrange, facilitate and contribute to the safety committee, executive and working group meetings, presenting site achievements at business reviews.
- Conduct internal audits/site inspections, and liaise with external auditors/external bodies in surveillance audits/inspections when needed.
- Liaise with department managers/supervisors to create, issue, review risk assessments/safe systems of work, advising H&S guidelines when new processes are being implemented.
- Prepare required reports in relation to HSE activities, accident claim reports, lost time accident reporting/RIDDOR reports.
- Demonstrate a regular presence on the shop floor, proactively interacting with the workforce to promote safe working practices across the site, while finding effective solutions to any EHS issues found.
- Interact with the Occupational Health provider as required to offer site specific health and safety information to support the health surveillance function.
- NEBOSH General Certificate or higher
- Knowledge and experience of H&S requirements in Aerospace manufacturing
- In-depth knowledge of H&S compliance legislation
- Working knowledge of ISO 14001 and Environmental Management
- Working knowledge of OHSAS 18001 / ISO 45001
- Technician (or higher) member of IOSH
- Excellent communication and engagement skills
- IT acumen, proficiency in MS Office
- Results focused, with ability to work on own initiative
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan, we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!