Histotechnologist (HT / HTL)
Sign on bonus and relocation for the right candidate.
McCall and Leehas been engaged by a community based hospital to recruit a Histotechnologist to join their Laboratory team as the Histology Supervisor and will provide the HT or HTL with great mentor ship and great culture.
This location has all the appeal of small town and lower cost of living while having extremely easy access to all the offerings of metropolitan activities.
We are seeking a well skilled, highly productive team player to work with their programs as a Histology Supervisor.
Excellent Schools / Quiet Neighborhoods / Low Cost of Living
This community combines the simplicity of small town life with the luxury of quality facilities that rival many urban hospitals. Our schools continually receive high marks year after year, and have some of the lowest student to teacher ratios in the country. Despite a smaller population, this area boasts a hospital, airport, nursing home, community theater, fitness center, recreational activities, just for starters. Located near some nationally recognized Universities and Medical Schools. Where else can you get all this and have the beautiful scenery and outdoor activities galore with premium hunting and fishing?
This is a community where patients and friends are treated like family. Your family will find themselves immersed in the community in no time.
Performs a variety of tasks in the Histology/Pathology/Cytology environment. The Histology Lead directly supervises staff in the department. Performs the following tasks: Cutting with a Microtome, Embedding, Special Stains, Frozen Sections, Forensic specimens, Inputting charges for billing, Generating reports, Participating in interviews with potential employees, Assisting with Capital Acquisition, Managing inventory/stock, and other duties as required. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Reports to Laboratory Leadership.
- Commitment to Team: Develops and facilitates good working relationships with superiors, physicians, staff members, and co-workers/peers. Contributes to problem-solving activities intra-and inter-departmentally. Demonstrates flexible staffing needs within the department. Uses department resources (supplies, equipment) in a cost-effective manner. Communicates effectively and in a timely manner to the medical director, co-workers, and physicians through informal updates, written and verbal communications. Consistently meets attendance standards and follows the department standards for "calling in" and requesting time off.
• Self-Development: Participates in the entity and/or department in-service/training programs related to the job. Participates in professional organizations or groups that increase knowledge in the field. Actively seeks educational opportunities through self-study, educational institutions or professional based organizations.
• Gross Pathology: Prepares specimens for gross description and assists at the grossing bench. Prepares frozen sections. Maintains the integrity of the specimen. Communicates the status of specimens with pathologist and co-workers.
• Routine Histology: Embeds specimens accurately. Cuts slides that are fully representative of the block and stains them with routine H and E stain. Maintains the integrity of the specimen. Labels and distributes slides accurately. Performs maintenance and Q.C. on all equipment in the area. Communicates and documents any problems. Accurately maintains slide and block files. Orders send out tests following the procedure manual.
• Maintains Stain Set-Up: Filters stains, changes stains, washes stain dishes and cleans stainer according to QC chart. Documents on QC chart when stains are filtered/changed. Notifies Pathologist of any discrepancies with the appearance of stainer. Operates stainer according to the type of specimen being stained. Performs special stains in a timely manner. Labels and distributes slides accurately. Communicates with pathologist the status of stains.
• Prepares Pap, Gyn and Non-Gyn Specimens: Matches patient information to requisition and specimen received. Follows procedure manual in the processing of all Cytology specimens.
• Maintains Orderly/Clean Work Environment: Cleans and disinfects centrifuge and area per policy. Unpacks and stores supplies as received. Monitors and maintains supply levels. Disposes of biohazard waste. Files original requisitions numerically. Files slides appropriately. Performs maintenance and QC on all equipment.
• Promotes Patient Safety goals: Demonstrates understanding that all employees are responsible for patient safety. Recognizes the importance of reporting errors and near misses to protect and improve patient process.
- Lic/Reg/Cert: HT / HTL, or equivalent (ASCP) or MT / MLT (ASCP)
- Must have Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Skills include previous experience in an Anatomical Pathology Laboratory
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications
Relocation expenses and Sign On Bonus for the right candidate.
To take the first step towards your new opportunity, contact and/or send resume to:
James C. Dinwoodie, Recruiter
HEALTHCARE SPECIALTY PRACTICE