Title: Human Resources Manager
Reporting: Sr Director HR
Location: Arlington, VA/Hybrid
Contact: Matt Hoefling
Human Resources Manager
Key to the success of the organizations aspirations is an inclusive and aligned culture that supports the mission and vision of the organization. The cultural aspiration of the organization, therefore, is one where Purpose, Results and Caring are at the forefront of the norms and behaviors of the culture. This represents an almost perfectly symmetrical integration of the two original cultures. “Purpose” being the most dominant cultural norm
reflects the shared understanding: that the transformative potential of the Alliance is larger than just the impact we can have on individuals with one product, but on their surrounding systems & communities. “Results” in second position reflects how healthy competitive drive, our strive for excellence and impact. “Caring” represents our fundamental compassion for the people we serve and for one another, not in spite of the diversity among
us, but because of that diversity among us.
The Human Resource Manager is directly responsible for the overall administration and coordination of the human resource function. The position formulates partnerships across the human resources function to deliver value-added service to management and employees that reflects the business objectives of the organization. Reporting to the Sr. Human Resources Director, the Human Resources Manager will be a functional leader who is responsible for managing compensation and benefits administration, recruitment, performance management, compliance and employee relations.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Implements the compensation program and analyzes compensation
- Ensures accurate processing of semi-monthly payroll process; oversee processing of payroll changes (e.g. new hires, terminations, salary adjustments) and system upgrades
- Stays current on payroll systems to achieve alignment with HR benefits and other related and to ensure effective accounting support
- Administer employee benefits programs such as retirement plans; medical, dental, vision plans; life insurance plans; temporary disability programs; and wellness programs
- Approves invoices for payment, review monthly benefit reconciliations, and assist the Finance and Accounting with any variances
- Coordinates company benefits with government-sponsored programs
- Develops benefits information and statistical and census data for actuaries, insurance carriers and management
- Serves a liaison for audits
- Oversee the management of the HRIS database and other tracking for analyses of the HR function and employee data
- Prepares and maintain human resources metrics and reports
Recruitment and Hiring:
- Manages the full cycle of recruitment, hiring, and final onboarding of all employees, partner with hiring managers and will oversee external recruiting agencies
- Updates current and design new recruiting procedures (e.g. job application and onboarding processes)
- Collaborates with hiring managers to maintain and rewrite job descriptions as necessary;
- Provides leadership, support, advocacy and vision to the Corporate Recruiter and support to hiring managers across several states
- Reviews compensation analysis and job offers
- Plans and organizes all activities of the department. Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems
- Consults with department managers, providing HR guidance when appropriate
- Manage the ongoing process of employee performance and development; monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary
- Partner with employees and affinity groups to develop offerings to reinforce core values, corporate culture and engage employees
- Administer employee engagement surveys and plan initiatives to build employee engagement within the organization; analyze results for presentation to senior leadership.
- Conduct exit interviews departing employees, analyze interview data for themes and share with leadership as appropriate.
- Identify trends and implement new practices to engage and motivate employees
- Conduct research on employee satisfaction (e.g. using surveys and quantitative data)
- Recommends and implements personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains handbook on policies and procedures;.
- Files EEO-1 annually; maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Evaluates reports, decisions and results of department initiatives in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws.
- Assure company compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act and the Affordable Care Act. Supervise preparation of reports and applications required by law to be filed with federal and state agencies, such as Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners, and other regulatory agencies. Review and analyze changes to state and federal laws pertaining to benefits, and report necessary or suggested changes to Senior Director, Human Resources. Maintains current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead staff, make decisions and prioritize competing requests in a results-oriented organization
- Driven, entrepreneurial, creative and flexible, and willing to work hands-on in a fast-paced, growing organization
- An ability to embrace and model the company’s core values of cooperation, innovation, leadership, commitment, trust, and diversity
- Ability to deliver clear, concise and appropriate messages to a variety of audiences
- Ability to present training/other information to small and large groups
- Demonstrates the highest level of ethical behavior and maintains confidentiality.
- Appropriately navigates the line between employee advocacy and interests of the organization
- Principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation, benefit and personnel information systems
- Ability to motivate, develop and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job
- Responsive to requests and needs of others regarding Human Resource related issues
- Communicate effectively in writing depending on the needs of audience
- Determine and communicate how operational systems and procedures should work, how changes in conditions, operations and the environment will affect outcomes and ability to adjust systems and procedures accordingly and timely
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field; preferred MBA degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years of human resources experience, and minimum of 2 years of experience managing others
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication and team management skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- Knowledge of building compensation packages and bonus programs for various departments and seniority levels
- Excellent understanding of job evaluation and job analysis systems
- Good analytical skills
- Proven experience as a payroll manager or similar role
- Current knowledge of payroll procedures and related laws
- Excellent understanding of multi-location payroll and taxes
- Familiarity with payroll software/ HRIS (e.g. ADP) and Google Sheets