Title: HR Director
Location: New Carrollton, MD - Hybrid
Contact: Matt Hoefling
Our Client is a rapidly growing small business that specializes in building strong Engineering teams that provide high quality, modern technical solutions to our clients, is seeking a Human Resources Director. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer, the HR Director leads tasks in the administration of a medium sized company of approximately 150 employees with operations located in several states.
We are seeking an HR Director to lead the way in energizing our organizational culture, being an organizational change agent, and help us be an employer of choice. The ideal candidate is one that appreciates a challenging, fast-paced environment, has a related degree, and 6+ years of leadership experience in Human Resources, with ambition to bring forward-thinking and transformational ideas to promote the Client.
This position is responsible for implementing HR policies and programs and managing all aspects of employee relations and development. Management responsibilities include:
- Strategic HR: Develops organization strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to organization strategic thinking and direction; establishing human resources objectives in line with organizational objectives. Supports management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions.
- Budget and Planning: Review budget suggestions and requests. Review completed budgets for compliance with legal regulations. Design and present budget-models? including department-level. Design effective budgeting policies and procedures? and manage their implementation.
- Employee Relations: Guides management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organization values. Handle complex and sensitive employee relations and human resources issues that have organizational impact or legal ramifications.
- Compliance: complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Training and Development: Oversees the delivery training to employees and managers. Work with managers to resolve and prevent employee relations issues by coaching and training. Ensure complete and consistent Human Resources documentation, including but not limited to documentation of disciplinary actions and training compliance.
- Planning and Policies: Provide guidance on interpretation of policies and procedures. Assure necessary action taken expeditiously if Client policy standards are not met.
- Performance Management: Advise managers on performance management, workforce planning and compensation. Managing subordinate staff to identify goals and objectives.
- Recruiting: Manage recruitment: activity to include advertising, internal job posting, application screening, coordination of interviewing, extending offers of employment and completing necessary paperwork. Develop and maintain tracking system for open positions. Creating and revising job descriptions.
The responsibilities involve managing the HR Team in achieving the following tasks:
- Leads the maintenance of personnel files, including training records and all necessary new hire paperwork
- Implementing and revising a company’s compensation program
- Conducting annual salary surveys
- Developing, analyzing, and updating the company’s salary budget
- Developing, analyzing and updating the company’s evaluation program
- Developing, revising, and recommending personnel policies and procedures
- Maintaining and revising the company’s handbook on policies and procedures
- Performing benefits administration
- Maintaining affirmative action programs
- Designs and administers training programs for all personnel
- Conducts wage surveys within labor market to determine competitive wage rate
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations
- Prepares reports and recommends procedures to reduce absenteeism and turnover
- Overseeing recruitment efforts for all personnel, including writing and placing job ads
- Conducting new employee orientations and employee relations counseling
- Overseeing exit interviews
- Maintaining department records and reports
- Participating in administrative staff meetings
- Maintaining company directory and other organizational charts
- Recommending new policies, approaches, and procedures
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, business or related field required.
- Eight to ten years’ previous experience in a Human Resources related role with demonstrable knowledge of principles and procedures for recruitment, selection, training, compensation, benefits, labor relations and negotiation and human resources information systems.
- HR leadership position required. Master’s degree preferred. Relevant combination of HR work experience and education may be considered.
- Must have public speaking and presentation skills.
- Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), SHRM-CP (certified professional), HR Certification Institute (HRCI), Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
- A general knowledge of:
Employee management systems (Paylocity), Applicant tracking system (ATS OnDemand), Microsoft Office Suite