This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to lead ALL transportation functions with potential advancement to the #1 Supply Chain leadership role, for our $17B+, publicly held Retail client and their large distribution network.
|This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to lead ALL transportation functions with potential advancement to the #1 Supply Chain leadership role, for our $17B+, publicly held client and their large distribution network.
Executive-level role charged with leading, directing, developing, and implementing all facets and functions of the overall transportation strategies and execution. Oversee an $800M budget encompassing transportation procurement, inbound/outbound operations, international/imports, cross-dock, customs compliance, external vendors/carrier contracts, and operational services. Bring a global perspective and an extensive network of carrier contacts, and carrier experience to bear in all modes of transportation. Responsible for developing and maintaining an open, engaging environment in labor relations, remaining issue-free.
- Reporting to the EVP Supply Chain, the successful candidate will be the key leader in defining, modernizing, building consensus, and executing Transportation 1-3-5-year strategic plans in accordance with the overall Supply Chain strategy to become a source of competitive advantage.
- Lead and manage all inbound and outbound functions and all third-party vendors from contract through execution of deliverables. Provide leadership and guidance to maximize efficiencies, cost controls, productivity, vendor/carrier service levels, and ultimate profitability.
- Oversee all transportation operations from (27) contracted Cross Dock facilities and (6) company-owned Distribution Centers. Support aggressive future capacity expansion.
- Responsible for the formulation and adherence to operating and capital budgets.
- Responsible for developing a companywide service provider/carrier network that is considered best in class in Retail. Build strong carrier and vendor partnerships and relationships to maintain cost controls, support company growth objectives, and maintain/improve service standards.
- Support the Transportation Team training, development, and growth. Raise staff performance standards and continuous improvement through active listening, select skills training, staff exposure to strategic projects, and personal feedback/action plans. Develop internal strategic succession plans throughout the organization.
- Assist and support continued company growth, Supply Chain facility expansion, and new third-party facilities. Develop additional internal infrastructure and external vendor partnerships to prepare/plan ahead of the company and Supply Chain growth needs.
- Provide direction and guidance on all company Transportation policies to ensure integrity, controls, and transparency within the organization. Oversee policies and procedures established by all government regulatory agencies to support minimal risk to the company, US Customs, FDA, OSHA, and Fish and Wildlife.
- Establish benchmark performance KPI's including internal staff and external vendors, and business partners. Identify key levers (systems, communications, technology, talent, processes, cost controls, work standards, etc.) to achieve results.
- Be a champion of industry best practices to improve competitive positioning of Transportation strategies and customer service. Drive innovation and continuous improvement across all areas and ensure "buy-in" across the organization.
- Strong communicator and negotiator, capable of extending influence beyond Transportation topics to best support overall Supply Chain strategies.
- Company travels to facilities and cross-dock facilities as needed; overseas travel once/year potentially. Attend appropriate Industry conferences to invest in continuing education about trends and market challenges.
- Plans, Aligns & Prioritizes
- Ensures Accountability & Execution
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 15-year+ track record of experience in an executive management/leadership role leading Transportation across multiple Distribution Centers, Cross-Dock Facilities for a brick/mortar large Retail chain, Consumer Goods, or large nationwide Carrier network. Experience in off-price Retail Transportation is a plus.
- Bachelor and/or MBA degree in Transportation, Logistics, Supply Chain, or business-related. Advanced degree a plus.
- Possess extensive leadership and management experience over 3rd party service providers/carrier contracts and strategic vendor partnerships. Subject matter expert in all linehaul transportation procurement, including domestic rail, TL, LTL, intermodal, small package, drayage, and ocean/international.
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing a large best in class company transportation function with similar scale, scope, and challenges.
- Documented Transportation strategic leadership, project, and supervisory experience with high-growth companies.
- Experience and influence with multiple external, internal business partners such as merchandising, IT, real estate, operations, and senior leadership.
- Possess very strong financial and analytical acumen.
- Strong management presence and skills; demonstrate patience and solid leadership in problem-solving, project management, and strategic and tactical challenges.
- Effective change management across people, processes, and tools.
- Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
- Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, working with paper/files, etc.
- Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
- Must be available to travel on short notice and accommodate extended stays where needed
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management's discretion.
An equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of the company's overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. We are committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state or local laws.