New Retained search for a GMM to oversee all product and merchandise strategies for a $1B+ Retailer.
We have just taken on a new retained search for a GMM role with one of our $1B+ retail clients in the Pacific Northwest. This role will oversee DMM's, Buyers and the entire merchant group.
GENERAL MERCHANDISE MANAGER
This position is responsible for collaborating with the VP of Merchandising and direct reports to develop and execute strategies to achieve budgeted sales, profit, and inventory goals through proper product selection, pricing, advertising, promotion, and merchandising.
- Reports to: Vice President of Merchandising
- Supervises: Divisional Merchandise Managers, Buyers, and Merchandising Administrative Assistants
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for directing the buying staff to execute an overall plan for selecting a mix of goods that satisfies our customer’s needs based on brand name, quality, packaging, and consumer demand while ensuring achievement of sales, profit, inventory, and return on investment goals.
- Supervise the establishment and implementation of pricing strategies (every day and competitive) that conform to our client’s everyday low price image, while maintaining a satisfactory gross profit for the company.
- Promote the acquisition of new merchandise sources (i.e. factories and/or distributors).
- Monitor the establishment of buying methods and merchandise flow based on freight costs, delivery time, inventory turns, and achievement of Bi-Mart’s product in-stock goal.
- Supervise the maintenance of established vendor relationships and procedures with factories and distributors regarding buying methods, pricing, in-store service, defective procedures, and payment terms.
- Actively participate in the recruitment, hiring, and promoting of qualified personnel as needed to maintain necessary staffing levels in merchandising positions.
- In collaboration with the VP of Merchandising, develop and implement training and mentorship programs to maintain corporate culture, expand expertise, and provide for the advancement of current and future merchandising personnel into leadership positions.
- Establish and maintain training seminars, programs, and vendor meetings as required to train store personnel in product knowledge and departmental procedures.
- Oversee the purchase of all merchandise for basics and promotion.
- Supervise departmental product reviews on all merchandise on a set schedule to study selection and pricing.
- Coordinate with departmental personnel and the Store Planning Department to develop layouts, displays and plan-o-grams.
- Monitor the proper billing and receiving of all allowances (i.e. ad co-op, promotional allowances, volume rebates, etc). Coordinate with the Co-op Advertising Manager to establish and maintain programs to ensure the proper and timely collection and allocation of all allowances.
- Direct staff in establishing seasonal plans for each merchandise season and holiday, including items purchased, pricing, display, advertising, arrival dates, and seasonal closeouts.
- Manage the planning for trade show and factory visits, as well identify the appropriate attendees as necessary to develop relationships with factory principles, keep up with industry trends, and make opportunity buys.
- Coordinate with Marketing and Merchandising staff, as well as vendors, to develop marketing and advertising programs to promote sales via print, electronic, and internet messaging. Establish and promote participation in outside activities such as shows, fairs, and community events to elevate consumer awareness of the company and our products.
- Communicate with and visit stores to check overstocks, displays, and merchandise in-stocks, to get store input on merchandise and vendor problems.
- Visit competitor’s stores to be aware of key competition activity.
- Manage the Divisional Merchandise Managers, Buyers, Assistant Buyers, and support staff to enhance effectiveness, productivity, and good communication skills when dealing with stores, vendors, and other departments.
- In partnership with the VP of Merchandising, manage financial control of the Merchandising Department, to include: approving all new items, cost, and retail changes; approving all import purchase orders; approving all purchase orders over $50,000; and approving all new vendors.
- Communicate with the Vice President of Merchandising regarding all pertinent information on vendors, merchandise, industry developments, and problems as they occur.