General Manager Operational Excellence
Our client is looking for their next GM of Operational Excellence for their modular construction business. The preferred location for this position is in Calgary but will consider candidates based in other locations where we have large MSS branches (Langley, Edmonton, Stoney Creek, Dallas, Houston).
Reporting to the EVP & COO, Modular Space Solutions, the GM of Operational Excellence will be responsible for leading the Operational Excellence team for the MSS Business Unit, and continually drive operations, procurement and repair & maintenance improvements. The position oversees the harmonization and improvement in modular unit specification and construction, the purchasing and quality control of new units and the improvement of unit repair & maintenance. You will need extensive experience in operational improvement in the modular space rentals industry or experience in a related industry implementing process improvements and quality assurance programs. A wide degree of creativity and proven history of positive change management are expected.
The ideal candidate is a business leader with experience both working in the operational areas of the modular rental business and process improvement. They have strong leadership abilities and a sound understanding of how numbers drive the business and vice-versa. This is a fast-paced role with high visibility across the business.
The GM of Operational Excellence will have two direct reports and will be responsible for hiring and building this team. The team will include a Procurement Specialist and QA/QC/Process Improvement Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and work direction to the Operational Excellence team;
- Work collaboratively with the MSS Regions to affect improvement in their operations especially their purchasing, asset quality, and Repair & Maintenance (R&M) practices;
- Improve performance and assure success by training, coaching, motivating, and evaluating employees;
- As a key member of the leadership team, provide support in the annual strategic planning and budgeting processes for the MSS business;
- Build systems and processes for monitoring quality, cost of poor quality and R&M costs; and,
- Work with regions on an on-going basis to identify additional process improvements as well as to ensure previously implemented improvements are sustained.
- Determine sources of high R&M costs, identify ways to reduce them and prioritize opportunities for improvement;
- Map R&M processes, activities and tasks and identify improvements to reduce costs and improve both efficiencies and quality;
- Identify best practices in R&M across the MSS Regions and implement these practices in the other MSS Regions;
- Work with the business regions to achieve R&M expenses of equal to or less than 14% of revenue in 2020; and,
- Identify and implement best practices in yard and shop layout to help minimize unit turnaround time and R&M costs.
- Standardize specifications for new units and coordinate the purchasing of units and other major items across the MSS platform including approving manufacturer deviations from specifications;
- Solicit feedback from service crews on possible improvements and changes to product design and materials and follow-up as appropriate;
- Standardize fleet specifications with the objective of optimizing life cycle costs by implementing fleet standards in all regions recognizing some regional differences may exist (e.g. snow loading, wind rating);
- Standardize materials and purchasing in areas that will reduce short-term and long-term maintenance costs;
- Analyze major R&M spend and establish national master purchasing agreements for common items;
- Strong leadership skills and a proven ability to managing a team that implemented significant positive process improvements;
- Preference for candidate with 5+ years’ modular space rentals industry experience, ideally on the operations management side and with proven ability to improve business processes;
- Preference for candidate with 5+ years’ experience in lean manufacturing, process improvement, process reengineering, six sigma, QA/QC or related discipline;
- Preference for candidate with operations engineering undergraduate degree or similar qualifications;
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Applications that include Excel, Project, OneNote and Access;
- Exposure to IoT considered an asset;
- Experience in managing, leading, training and retaining staff;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Must be willing to frequently travel to MSS branch locations in the US and Canada.
To apply, please email your resume to email@example.com, attention to Tony Marikar. Please visit our website, www.recruitmentpartners.ca, for additional career opportunities today!
Recruitment Partners Inc. is an Alberta-based, Alberta-focused recruitment firm. We are dedicated to building long-term relationships while securing top talent for Alberta’s best employers. At the heart of our efforts is a collaborative, consultative approach. We are proud of our team of consultants, who come with practical business experience, a strong network of professional contacts, and are focused on what is best for both clients and candidates. We will facilitate the best fit between client and candidate. This means reduced turnover, enhanced employee engagement, increased productivity and customer satisfaction, and more.
Recruitment Partners Inc. is a relationship driven and service oriented organization with experts specializing in: Accounting & Finance Sales & Operations Supply Chain Human Resources Office Support Technology
Contact us today - Your Search Partner - to learn more!