Steel Manufacturer is looking for a General Manager Customer Technical Services in their Quality and Metallurgical Engineering Department. This individual will be responsible for the supervision and direction for all Technical Services Engineers and Claims Coordinator. Coordinates activities with Metallurgical, Operating and Quality groups within the scope of Quality Assurance, Product Development, and non-conforming issues both at the customer and onsite. Manages the interaction with customers on all non-conforming material issues and assists in the coordination of problem resolution and corrective action. Visits customer facilities to provide technical support in the use of company's products, review current or potential product applications and resolve non-conforming material issues. Works closely with sales group to manage customer performance, provides all necessary technical support for developing new business and expansion of product offerings. Determines and implements product process changes. Manages the entire claims system.
- Facilitates continuous communication within all areas and departments.
- Utilizes information and statistics generated through data acquisition and analysis in all product and process decision-making.
- Establishes the Quality structure within the Technical Services Group that streamlines efficiency and consistency of work within the department.
- Works directly with established Quality systems and utilizes the Quality System as an effective management tool. Institutes systems for improved customer relations management and management of claims.
- Can act as primary contact between company and the customer in all aspects of the quality assurance process and non-conforming issues. Works with Sales to manage customer relations, establish and support technical connections to customers and help focus sales group on viable product development opportunities.
- Can visit customer facilities to provide in-plant technical services as requested or required by end-user customers.
- Oversees the investigation and assessment of quality issues in customer base for each individual Technical Services Engineer. Manages investigation and communication with all departments to ensure that corrective actions arising from claim root cause analysis are properly implemented and verified as effective. Makes final recommendation on claim acceptance or denial.
- Works with the product and process engineers to clearly define product requirements in advance of order placement to ensure best product performance.
- Functions in similar role as the product engineers with the potential to be assigned C. I. Projects targeting more specific customer-related issues.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- B.S. Degree in Metallurgical or Materials Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of equivalent experience
- Quality system knowledge. Continuous improvement mindset.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability
- Expertise in steel processing and defect identification
- Highly motivated leader driven toward continual improvement and information-based decision making.
- Excellent communication skills.
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Able to travel with overnight stays.