Objectives and Purpose of the Job:
Responsible for the financial and operational performance of the dairy farm, implementation of short and long term business plans, optimizing farm performance as a unit and as part of the Company’s dairy portfolio; formulate and implement growth strategies for the business; manage and improve yields and effectively manage dairy assets ensuring their good health and production and expansion as required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Strategy & Business Planning
- Develop a strategy for creating top line growth as well as improvement for dairy business profitability
- Create a budget with specific KPIs and deliver performance against that budget
- Supervisory Role for Managing Employees to Ensure:
- Feed Production Management, including planning and allocating feed using feed budgeting techniques to achieve strategic production targets
- Manage the Dairy Outreach Program with small farmers.
- Develop a cohesive management team
2. Milking production and quality
3. Safety and Environment
- Ensure effective management of all aspects of the milking process, including plant hygiene and somatic cell count, to achieve and maintain established standards.
- Manage the production of milk from the milking farms, milking on average over 1000 cows daily
- Supply the company with milk, in the agreed quantities and quality in a consistent and timely manner.
- Supervise operation and maintenance of all systems on the farms to ensure compliance requirements and additional standards with local regulatory agencies are met; ensure security of assets and safety and wellbeing of staff.
5. Administration & Quality Compliance
- Develop, review and implement animal health programme to maintain good health
- Develop and manage the mating/ insemination programme to ensure breeding targets are met
- Manage calving and the calf rearing programme to achieve minimal losses and ensure high quality replacements are available for the herd
- Ensure adequate recording of herds is maintained
- Adhere to all relevant animal welfare codes.
- Manage veterinary processes to achieve optimum life expectancy, health, growth and productivity of animals
- Proactively address disease and mortality management of herds.
6. Business & Asset Management
- Keep up to date with administrative and reporting responsibilities required of the position and job duties; comply with company policies and auditing requirements at all times
- In collaboration with the Quality Department, ensure adherence to all food safety standards
- Manage the Dairy Outreach Program with over 60 small farmers.
- In collaboration with Human Resource Department handle disciplinary matters at all levels.
- Along with the Accountant, develop, defend and execute each year, the capital and recurrent budgets the company.Click here to apply online
- With the help of the management team, manage and control all the agricultural husbandry practices related to the production of milk and replacement heifers.
- Manage the production of all the required management reports.
- Prepare Quarterly Board Reports and attend Board meetings.
- Participate in housekeeping, food safety, and general safety initiatives as required by the Company.
- Work in conjunction with the Farming and Financial Operations team in setting and achieving production and financial targets; ensure property and associated assets are secure and maintained within established operating budgets.
7. Any other related management duty assigned.
Academic/Technical/Management: Experience and Qualifications:
- A Bachelors Degree in Agriculture from a recognized institution.
- Certification in Supervisory Management.
- At least 5 years senior management experience in commercial agricultural production, preferably in a dairy industry.
Abilities; Skills; Experience; Aptitude and Judgement:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft suite.
- Excellent communication skills
- Good sense of responsibility.
- Motivational, time management and problem solving skills.
- A team leader who enjoys operating within a climate that values collaboration and team work which maximize skills, experiences and expertise to the benefit of the organisation.
Other Personal or General Characteristics:
- Action and results oriented.
- Good work ethics.
- Sound integrity.
External Contacts (Level):
- Ministry of Agriculture personnel.
- Veterinary Practitioners
- Public Health Department officers.
- Breed societies
- External contractors
- Professionals on contract, geneticist, nutritionist and management consultants.
- The general public.