Reporting to the Customer Service Manager, the Field Service Technician carries the overall responsibility for technical support of our equipment during install and commissioning and after SAT. In close coordination with the Assembly Team Leader, the Field Service technician could also be required to participate in the assembly and/or debugging phase and FAT with customer.PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for repairing, modifying, rebuilding and/or debugging supplied equipment on-site or at customer’s site
o Works according to technical drawings and other specifications
o Follows company standards of workmanship and setup
o Respects and abides by all applicable customer plant rules.
o Works according to safety rules (customer’s and companies)
• Provides on-site start-up and commissioning assistance for automated packaging machinery provided/sold by company.
• Upon customer’s request or as required by the circumstances of a particular job, provides advice to the customer’s personnel on technical issues related to their company supplies equipment.
• Requests approval from supervisor and/or engineering for any design changes or modifications performed to machines in the field, prior to execution.
• Provides marked-up drawings or sketches of any changes done in the field for the proper update of the machine by Engineering.
• Files weekly expense, activity and service reports according to established rules.
• Performs debugging /assembly/wiring activities, on the floor, as requested by his/her supervisor
• Ensures all company equipment is delivered to the highest level of quality by dutifully reporting any quality issues observed on company equipment either on the floor or at customer’s site.
• Maintains a constant state of readiness and is able to travel on short notice.
• Assists his/her supervisor in maximizing billable hours for the department.
• Provides support to Training and in preparing Training Job aids as required.
• Supports the preparation of machine manuals and other related documentation.
• Provides over the phone support to customers when required.
• Files weekly expense, activity and service reports.SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- At the end of field service visits always recommends improvements and parts
replacements required for the proper functioning of the equipment.
- On request from his supervisor, performs follow-up visits to customers after
installation, recommending action plans to improve productivity.PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Strength requirements are as follows:
o Stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead, and bend to the floor
o Exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally to move objects
o Exert 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently to move objects
o Exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Visual acuity required for reading drawings and part numbers as well as the
ability to distinguish between various color combinations in order to perform assigned tasks.
- Hearing acuity required for safety reasons as well as for operating packaging equipment.
- Hand tools for the purpose of installing machinery. A $150 tool allowance is provided. See tool allowance policy for details
- Passport required. Employee is allowed to expense cost of renewal (5 year max)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Excellent communication skills, oral and in written report format. Able to express yourself clearly in good verbal and written English.
- Post-secondary education in mechanical and/or electrical field. Millwright certificate would be an asset.
- Must be able to fluently read mechanical assembly drawings, electrical and pneumatic schematics.
- Strong mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills.
- Knowledge and Hands-on experience on A-B Control Logix PLCs
- Knowledge and hands-on experience on servo motion controls (A-B Control Logix).
- Experience programming servos is an asset.
- Basic knowledge and hands on experience with Siemens PLC and Lenze motion controls a definite asset.
- Working knowledge of Robots and Robotic applications.
o Knowledge of Fanuc robots is an asset.
- Organized, self-disciplined and professional in demeanor.
- Able to travel up to 65-70% of the time.
- Must have a valid passport
o Must be able to travel to the USA and overseas without restrictions
- Must have a valid driver’s license without restrictions
- Must be able to rent a car in any country without restrictions