Industry: Pharmaceutical / Biotech
Job Category: Engineering – Systems
Novato Engineering and Facilities Services (NEFS) Engineering provides critical technical support, guidance, and strategic vision to ensure that the facilities, utilities, warehouse, and laboratory equipment for the company’s domestic clinical/commercial manufacturing buildings, laboratories, and warehouses are designed, operated, and maintained in a manner consistent with GXP and best practice asset lifecycle management.
This is an individual contributor position as part of a site-based Engineering team.
This roll is available for flexible work arrangements requiring 1 to 2 days of onsite availability per week.
The engineer will be responsible for ongoing support to Novato manufacturing to ensure utilities and facilities equipment performs its intended function when required. The engineer will be responsible to support the design, engineering, and commissioning of new or modified utility systems and/or GMP manufacturing facilities, laboratory facilities, and administrative facilities. The engineer will:
- Provide utilities/facilities technical support to GEFS engineering team on large capital projects
- Highlight and submit improvement and investment projects related to facilities/utilities
- Work with end users to develop system requirements, specification of equipment/buildings, review design from outside engineering firms or contractors (as needed).
- Participate in long-term strategic development of site utility system and facilities.
The engineer may be requested to support other opportunities as directed by management. This position will interact collaboratively with key customers, peers and other stakeholders to support achieving the company’s tactical and strategic goals & objectives.
The Engineer will work closely with other support groups such as Manufacturing, Quality Assurance Validation, Quality Assurance Engineering, Facilities Operations, Compliance, and Maintenance/Metrology, Automation Engineering, Process Engineering, EHS&S, and Quality Control to assure that the company’s assets are well managed throughout their lifecycle.
- Demonstrate an in-depth technical knowledge of facilities and utilities used to support the manufacture, Research & Development, and warehousing of pharmaceutical and biological products
- Act as the Facilities Engineering resource on cross-functional project teams
- Demonstrate leadership ability including the ability to lead, motivate, develop and directly/indirectly manage others effectively
- Ensure electrical systems are designed maintained and operated to correct standards and code
- Delegate authority and responsibility to junior staff to achieve tactical and support strategic objectives
- Apply extensive practical expertise in their area(s) of knowledge
- Advance safety, health and environmental stewardship at the company through technical decisions, guidance and leadership
- Effectively manage internal and external relationships with customers, key stakeholders and vendors
- Develop and maintain effective communication with peers, subordinates and senior management
- Demonstrate the ability to be self-directed with limited guidance and oversight from management
- Support development of internal engineering practices and procedures
- Effectively apply independent judgment utilizing the company policies, industry practices and company standards as guidance
- Demonstrate effective collaboration, partnering and teamwork skills when interacting with internal and external resources
- Actively participate in technical, tactical, and strategic reviews/discussions
- Remain current on all training requirements
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and implement small projects
- Identify and champion projects that will successfully support our business goals and objectives
- Stay current with leading edge technologies, trends, and best practices through contacts with industry, service/equipment providers, and other formal/informal means
BS or MS in Chemical, Mechanical, or other Engineering degree from an accredited university. Relevant job and years of experience may be substituted in place of a degree.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in facilities and clean/dirty plant utilities, preferably in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated successful engineering support of capital projects ranging from $1 to 10 million.
- Experience with electrical system design and maintenance required
- Demonstrated engineering Subject Matter Expertise (SME) in at least one of the following systems: Water for Injection (WFI), RO/DI, Pure Steam, Clean Dry Air (CDA), clean process gas systems, HVAC, Plant Steam, Chilled water, Condenser Water, Process Wastewater, refrigeration, or electrical systems
- Strong organization, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with standard office software applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point.
- Proficiency in creating, editing, and reviewing, engineering/architectural drawings is required.
- Experience in the use of engineering software tools
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.