Magellan Aerospace, Middletown has an exciting opportunity for Fabrication Mechanic.
This is a full-time non-exempt role where the successful candidate will be expected to Plan, lay out, and fabricate sheet metal parts and assemblies by performing the following duties.
- Fabricates and performs finishing operations on sheet metal and extruded parts.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, sketches, mylars, customer specifications and work orders to determine sequence and methods of fabricating sheet metal parts.
- Selects gauge and type of sheet metal materials according to shop orders and customer specifications.
- Scribes/marks dimensions and reference lines on material to develop and trace patterns of product or parts, or uses templates.
- Forms sheet metal parts of various types and sizes using hydraulic and/or mechanical forming equipment.
- Sets up and operates sheet metal fabricating machines in the shop to cut, bend, block, form, or straighten materials.
- Develops settings and roll locations by trial and error method when setting up for first run parts to obtain the desired contour, radius and degree of bend and maintains record of required settings.
- Adapts or improvises gauges to locate material as required; fastens die to bolster plate, positions floating adapters, pressure pins and rings; adjusts for shut height of ram.
- Shears metal with proper grain direction for future bend operations. Selects proper dies, router bits and collars, templates, tools, etc. to perform the required task.
- Operates abrasive Waterjet cutting system, a cold cutting process, for cutting metals such as stainless steel, nickel alloys, titanium and copper-nickel alloys. Loads programs into machine based on engineering guidelines.
- Completes machine parts to blueprint by performing such operations as chamfers, radii, and small blend cuts. Works mold line and swarf cuts. Handworks machine finish, holds blueprint micro requirements.
- Sets up and operates radial drill press. Sets up all jobs on drill press. Lays out work using scales and protractors. Performs drilling, tapping, reaming, countersinking and spot facing operations working to tolerances of up to .0015" as required. Selects proper coolants and lubricant for material worked. Uses knowledge of speeds and feeds and proper tooling to use for all type materials.
- Moves, positions, and helps in moving or positioning parts, tools, equipment and fixtures for the setup and operation of the various fabrication and machining departments. Removes scrap, chips, shavings, from machine, bed, hopper, etc. Tears down setups and removes, cleans up and stores tooling. Obtains material, tools, templates, shop aids, etc. and returns these items after use.
- Shapes metal material over anvil, block, or other form.
- Trims, files, grinds, deburrs, buffs, and smoothes surfaces within the department.
- Checks finished work to assure that parts meet the required quality and dimension specifications and tolerances.
- Basic housekeeping to clean up the area from the work performed and to maintain the housekeeping in the area using the proper conventional utensils (brooms, dusters, wet/dry rags, wet/dry vacuums), but excluding the use of mops and automatic floor scrubbers (i.e. Tennant floor scrubber). Maintaining the area includes material, parts, machines, tools and work tables used in manufacturing as well as objects used to store or stage items used in manufacturing.
To perform this job successfully, requires good communication skills. An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Read blue prints
Use precision measuring instruments such as micrometers, gauges, protractors, vernier calipers, tapes, scales and squares.
Must be familiar with contour templates and reaction and draw of various materials. Understands the working characteristics of all materials common to the machine industry.
Understands parts handling and parts protection.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Attractive benefits package (100% coverage at contracted facilities with very low premiums)
- Generous 401k Pension Plan
- Positive work-life balance
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Commitment to professional growth
- Fully paid Tuition Assistance Program
- Company social events including cook outs, holiday party, offsite meetings, service awards, spin the wheel, department outings to sporting events, and more!
- Employee Engagement Committee
- Fully covered Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts on tickets to exclusive events and entertainment
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!
Magellan Aerospace respects the privacy and confidentiality of personal information provided by candidates and shall not disclose to any external parties unless legislated.
Thank you for considering this exciting opportunity. This document is intended to provide the reader with information and is not a contractual document. Some of the material therefore may be subject to change.