About the Organization:
The organization is a professional membership association headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. The organization supports the role of human resources as a profession and provides education, certification, and networking to its members, while lobbying Congress on issues pertinent to labor management.
- Revenue: $113M
- Number of employees: 400
- Members: 285,000
Develops the strategic vision and leads the future growth of all phases of content development, editing, design and publication of the organization's long-form content and workplace coverage, including HR magazine in print and online, and the weekly Workplace e-newsletter. Owns the development and execution of the organization’s new workplace content area, which includes anticipating and assigning workplace topic areas of greatest interest to both the general business community and to HR and seeks innovative methods to deliver that content via a range of providers and platforms. This position will support the organization's strategic initiatives to provide high-value resources to core members and be a thought leader on all aspects of the workplace to the business community.
- Guides the direction of and manages all phases of long-form content development, editing, design and publication, and owns the development and execution of the organization’s new workplace content area.
- Supervises all phases of planning and editing HR Magazine in print and online, including determining content in consultation with other editors and staff. Assigns editing and writing responsibilities.
- Performs substantive edits and rewrites of articles to ensure they are relevant, engaging, timely and useful. Oversees or delegates oversight of columns/departments.
- Guides the creation and delivery of the weekly Workplace e-newsletter in a style targeted to weekend readers with a focus on the general business community.
- Manages the execution of long-form the organization.org editorial content and works closely with the VP-Editorial and Online News Director to coordinate schedules and publication timing.
- Oversees and guides a team of direct reports who are dedicated to providing thoughtful and thought-provoking content to readers.
- Creates direction for Creative Services and other editors to develop effective print illustrations, layouts, graphics and related features. Reviews print layouts to ensure accuracy, consistency and quality.
- Guides Creative Services and other editors to develop robust online, mobile and social media presentations of long-form content that includes interactive features such as slideshows, video, audio, polls, quizzes and more.
- Stays abreast of publishing innovations and incorporates them into an evolving content strategy.
- Ensures that relevant the organization content, resources and services are consulted and reflected as appropriate in magazine and relevant long-form content.
- Attends and covers the organization and other conferences to meet sources, generate ideas and write news.
- Develops and monitors editorial budget for HR Magazine. Ensures timely payment of freelancers.
- Set standards for the team that demonstrate both commitment to excellence and the organization mission. Establish professional development plans tied to department-level or organization-wide KPIs.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Seven years of print/online magazine and related publishing experience, including in business-to-business publications.
- Experience supervising staff and freelance contractors.
- Ability to analyze business trends and news to develop and assign timely article ideas, as well as write, edit and coordinate project scheduling under continuous deadlines.
- Expertise in social media, digital publishing, content management systems, search engine optimization and multimedia.
- High degree of interpersonal and communications skills for effective relationships and dealings with staff, colleagues, members, volunteer leaders, freelancers, article sources and authors.
- Skilled in covering business and economics issue (preferably HR).
- Skilled in publishing, especially in maintaining strong editorial principles, processes and the production of business-to-business magazines. Familiarity with Associated Press style.
- Master's degree.
- Extensive experience managing a print and online publication and its staff.