What does a good candidate look like?
Business and IT Understanding is paramount. The successful candidate should be able to set and manage expectations, be a self-starter and able to work in a fast-paced, growth oriented environment.
Their technical knowledge should be around principals of project management and Agile methodologies as well is expert-level understanding of the MS Office Suite. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at multiple levels is critical. This is someone who can communicate at a high level with project and business stakeholders as well as the project teams regarding their project deliverables. This person will be reporting directly to the VP of Business Transformation, so they will be his right hand person in establishing the IT PMO and helping it mature. This is why the educational or certification background in program and project management is so important.
Job Description from Novavax.com
Novavax, Inc. (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a late-stage biotechnology company that promotes improved health globally through the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative vaccines to prevent serious infectious diseases. Novavax recently initiated development of NVX-CoV2373, its vaccine candidate against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and achieved positive Phase 1 clinical trial results. NanoFlu, its quadrivalent influenza nanoparticle vaccine, met all primary objectives in its pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial in older adults. Both vaccine candidates incorporate Novavax' proprietary saponin-based Matrix-M adjuvant in order to enhance the immune response and stimulate high levels of neutralizing antibodies. Novavax is a leading innovator of recombinant vaccines; its proprietary recombinant technology platform combines the power and speed of genetic engineering to efficiently produce highly immunogenic nanoparticles in order to address urgent global health needs.
Novavax is seeking a full-time Project Manager or Senior Project Manager to support Company-wide Information Technology projects.
The Project Manager / Senior Project Manager reports to the Director, IT Project Portfolio Management, as part of the Information Technology Project Management Office (IT PMO). The IT PMO is the organizational entity that (a) establishes Information Technology project management standards, processes, best practices, and tools, (b) provides project-related services for the company's information technology programs and projects, including, but not limited to, operational support, subject matter expertise, and resource / vendor management and, (c) supports IT project and portfolio governance, issue escalation, risk management and business / stakeholder communications.
The Project Manager / Senior Project Manager will primarily support multi-disciplinary project teams and sub-teams for information technology projects and programs as well as advise IT management on project and program governance. The Project Manager / Senior Project Manager will be focused on accomplishing and tracking progress on project scope, schedules, and deliverables. The position requires (a) frequent communications with stakeholders and team members at all levels of the organization, (b) well-developed stakeholder management, (c) comfort with the challenges of a rapidly growing life sciences company, and (d) a reputation for clear and concise communications, and (e) outstanding customer service.
The Project Manager / Senior Project Manager will be required to use a variety of systems and project management tools and have demonstrated experience with enterprise applications and information technology. The incumbent will be required to proactively and independently arrange and facilitate one-to-one and group discussions with business team members and leaders, and focus discussions towards tangible outcomes. The Project Manager / Senior Project Manager will generate reports and updates, take ownership for all project support activities, help promote a culture of accountability, engagement, and project excellence by applying best practices and standards in project management, under the direction and supervision of the Senior Director, Information Technology. This is a leadership role, and the successful candidate will be tasked with maturing our program and project management capabilities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide project and program management; support technical team and task force leads in developing & executing project charters and meeting deliverables schedules; coordinating and executing clear and consistent communications.
- Work one-on-one, in small groups, or in large groups with scientific, business and vendor team leads on both high-level and detailed project activities.
- Serve as a champion and educator in helping non information systems experts to recognize and anticipate information system requirements often and early a project, program or portfolio lifecycle.
- Establish, lead, and execute a training program to foster IT project governance awareness within the department, and throughout the enterprise.
- Design, develop, and establish a repository for project related artifacts such as historical records, and templates that codify institutional best-practices.
- Facilitate meetings on behalf of the project/program sponsor to include coordinating and issuing project agendas, capturing and generating meeting summaries and action logs.
- Monitor project/program schedule and activities, track and report on action item status, and regularly raise risks.
- Prepare presentations for stakeholder updates and meetings, including coordinating and compiling stakeholder / IT comments and feedback.
- Develop, apply and maintain project management tools, such as trackers, spreadsheets, logs, tables, Gantt charts, PowerPoint status, etc., in support of the project champion and project management teams.
- Make copies, scan documents, file documents, and generally maintain project files (electronic and hardcopy), and provide version control for documents.
- Assists in the planning and execution of project(s) having an internal focus from initiation through delivery.
- Organizes cross-functional activities, ensuring completion of the project while adhering to budget, scope and schedule requirements.
- Serves as an in-house project consultant for evaluating needs and vendor requests for proposals.
- Build project management tools/products for company internal use.
- Plans and directs implementation efforts.
- Subject-matter expertise with enterprise technology implementations.
- Five (5) or more years of experience in project management, preferably in the biotech/vaccines industry.
- BA/BS in a relevant field, with MA/MS preferred.
- Professional certification (such as PMP).A professional communications style and maintaining project confidentiality are key success factors for the candidate.
- Must have superior organizational, administrative and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and operate under pressure is a must.
- Must be adept at learning and becoming quickly proficient at novel software applications; must be an expert at Microsoft Office, Project, Visio routine use of standard office equipment such as copiers and scanners, and expertise in electronic file structures and records management, as well as use of SharePoint.
- Expertise with leading meetings with video - and tele-conferencing technology is required.
Novavax is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.