R&D & Technical Lab MANAGER
- Local R&D activities
- Specs issuance and Product Validation
- Manage the qualification of new products (Valves, actuators, inserts, new packaging materials, etc.) at customer level
- Support the sales team by defining and agreeing valve, BOV and actuator specifications with customers
- Control and management of filling process for all products
- Run laboratory tests, analysis of results and conclusions: measurements of components from pilot mold, components/material in qualification process, compatibility test, valve/actuator performances, market products analysis
- Provide sales support for customer visits and technical expertise on aerosol technologies.
- Ensure detailed specifications and briefs are passed on to Laboratory for work, coding and subsequent customer approval.
- Key contributor to new business winning supporting the bid proposal process by identifying specification and test needs for any future installations.
- Member of Senior Management team providing inputs into North America strategy for business growth.
- Ensure that all components and materials used in the manufacture of products comply with latest legislation and to seek out alternatives and arrange of trials/approvals to be carried out in a timely manner.
- Conduct training sessions and presentations on aerosol technologies for existing and future customers and internal training requirements.
- Ensure commercial justification on all projects in order to gain approval.
- Maintain standard specification database, keeping to a minimum manageable range.
- Represent Company on relevant CSPA committees as required
- Provide a set of measures for presentation to the senior management team on a monthly basis covering new project status, continuous improvement activities and technical project updates
- Analysis and qualification of new material (physic-chemical analysis, compatibility trials, initial /industrial stamping/molding/assembly trials, performances measurements, etc …) using measurement devices (3D measurement, profile projector, micrometers), lab mixtures, compression test device (Zwick/roell device) according to the specification and the current aerosol legislation
- Run all types of laboratory tests: spray performance, particle size measurement (using Malvern device), discharge rate, capping/de-capping force (Zwick/roell device)
- Responsible for validation and shipment of all samples.
- Work with the R&D Centre and the manufacturing department to ensure industrialization and accompany projects through to commercialization in the most effective way as to maximize the value to the business.
- Interact when necessary with the other departments to maintain a coherent approach to projects.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest technologies from suppliers, customers and competitors to provide cost-saving and innovation opportunities.
- Manage product and filling qualification through new protocol and processes according to the effective aerosol legislation and customer protocol demands.
- Support the installation of a housekeeping agenda where it becomes part of the culture of the day to day activities.
- Development of valuable business relationships with key customers
- Guidance, monitoring and correction of any staff deviation related to Environment, Health and Safety
- Understanding and accomplishment of all rules and procedures related to Safety and BRC
Network and Links:
- Internal and External Interactions:
o GIC (Global Innovation Centre)
o All R&D Centre Departments and Technical Centres within the group
o All local operation departments
o Customers R&D Teams, and Project Managers
o Other production sites
o Key Account Managers
o Filling line manufacturers
o Aerosol Organizations, etc …
Work on several simultaneous projects per year
- Educated to degree level in chemistry/chemical engineering or in physical measurement although strong experience supported by relevant qualifications are seen as equivalent
- Recognized management qualification (e.g. CMS, DMS, MBA) are desirable/advantageous
- Minimum of 5 years in a similar role in technical/aerosol industry specialism.
- Technical awareness of moulding and assembly processes.
- Product and process design...
- Proven analytical and decision-making skills.
- Legal and industry requirements
- Project Management
- Knowledge of Company products and processes
- Natural tendency to be creative, innovative, eager to find and learn new ways to do things or skills related to the aerosol industry to help solve problems in the job.
- High maturity level, execution driven, positive “CAN DO“ attitude, well developed team work skills and sense of urgency, high proactivity level.
- Good organizational skills as well as written and oral communication skills.
- Transparent and honest.
- Active/pro-active on all levels, passive or indifferent attitudes are not desired.
- Likely to be a person who is moving into a senior role and has the energy and enthusiasm to make this move a real success.
- Experience of successful work in an international culture.
Spanish or German or French (desired)