An International Steel Manufacturer is looking for an Electrical Technician. This individual is a field oriented technical resource to the maintenance and reliability team in respective areas of the plant. The incumbent is the technological lead for instrumentation in their unit. This position works in conjunction with the Electrical Supervisor and Electrical Maintenance Team to provide reliable operating units.
Role and Responsibilities
- Leads by example with respect to plant safety policies and initiatives. Champions opportunities to engineer out equipment hazards. Assists in the development and implementation of electrical safe work procedures and risk reducing pre-task hazard assessments that promote an incident free workplace.
- Technical assessment and repair of defective parts in electrical control equipment including skill at or willingness to be the subject matter expert in their unit on AC and DC Drives
- Installing, maintaining, and leading the preventive maintenance program on unit instrumentation including championing the calibration program on key instruments
- Assists automation team in PLC upgrades, and is proficient in PLC programming
- Performs preventive repair and maintenance of field, plant, and shop electronic and electrical systems, devices, equipment, and components.
- Testing of digital and analog equipment and replacing defective parts.
- Participating in and leading plant electrical system continuous improvement projects. Preparing job schedules and coordinating activities with other disciplines on project work
- Active member of the predictive maintenance team executing thermographic and other inspections
- Designing modifications motor control equipment circuits, reading and interpreting blueprints, wiring diagrams and schematics.
- Collaborates with electrical department planner to scope work orders and develop work instructions, sketches, blueprints, and drawings.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Degree in Electrical engineering or related field (or extensive related experience), or
- Certification in an Electrical Technician field from an accredited institution, and
- A minimum of five years of experience in manufacturing.
- Must believe in the failure analysis process and its related tools
- Believes we are our brother’s keepers and everyone contributes to a safe work environment
- Significant experience in heavy industry- specifically EAF melt shops, casters, or Hot Strip Mills
- Ability to identify and implement efficient paths of action to finish the assigned work.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to develop and implement solutions to broad technical challenges
- Desire to establish and maintain solid working relationships with others.
- Should be able to test, calibrate, diagnose, and repair various devices.
- Good communication and organization skills.
- Has experience in the use of Computer Maintenance Management Software (CMMS)