Director of Underwriting
Our client is a fast-growing, non-bank lender dedicated to providing fast, simple, and affordable loans to small businesses. For more than 15 years the Company has been an industry innovator. Backed by a leading private equity firm the Company is currently implementing an aggressive national growth strategy.
The Director of Underwriting leads underwriting operation and strategy ensuring accurate, compliant and timely decisioning of loan applications for all product lines. Coaching comes naturally to this person who aids in the strategic planning for members of the Credit Underwriting team.
The Director of Underwriting sets the overall underwriting strategy for the day-to-day operations including staffing, seasonality, accuracy, fraud, credit risk, efficiency, and compliance. An ability to advise the team on individual applications and policy questions is needed. Abilities to shift gears at a moment's notice and enthusiastically leading the challenges of scaling up operations in a fast-paced environment are a must.
- In alignment with business goals develop in the areas of staffing, credit policy, accuracy, optimization, and compliance.
- Drive forward and track KPM’s around verification of application information, consistency with credit policy and underwriting standards.
- Coach, train and manage individual contributors and people managers within the Credit Underwriting team.
- Develop effective and efficient deployment of various credit policies. Show a sense of urgency in meeting applicant requests while meeting acceptable risk parameters.
- Enhance the efficiency and accuracy of the underwriting process by partnering cross-functionally and properly managing expenses.
- Ensure your teams are up to date on new release, features, lending laws and tools.
- 7+ years of underwriting experience preferably within a small business or consumer lending environment - credit card, online and/or installment loans.
- 3+ years of team management experience.
- Deep understanding of online lending, credit policy, credit risk, and portfolio management.
- Ability and experience working in a fast-pace, high-growth environment.
- Comfortable with ambiguity as it pertains to identifying and solving business challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, internally and externally.
- Solid record of identifying tooling needs and successfully implementing long-term software solutions.
- Defining, executing and measuring against key performance indicators.
- Ability to challenge team members and be challenged to achieve team goals.
- Bachelor's degree, MBA preferred.
What the Company provides:
- Flexible schedule
- Health, dental, vision, 401k available
- Paid vacation, holidays and sick time
- A dynamic, team-oriented office environment
- A comfortable, relaxed casual dress code
- Rewards, recognition, company events, and other fun stuff