Director of Major Gifts
Director of Major Gifts
High Point, NC
We are currently seeking a talented and dedicated Director of Major Gifts for a great opportunity at a Growing University. The ideal candidate will possess 5 years of sales, business development, or fundraising experience working in a University environment and a bachelor's degree.
About our client
A Growing University is an extraordinary and unique environment. The Office of Institutional Advancement seeks to partner with a development professional whose values and purpose align with those at the University and who desires to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift benefactors for the highest priorities of a Growing University, and to manage a team of fundraisers charged with similar responsibilities. Candidates should have a proven track record of success in development/fundraising or sales/business and be skilled at working collaboratively with team members to help achieve goals. Extensive travel will be required to meet with prospective and current donors. Candidates should demonstrate a high degree of emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills. They should be goals and outcomes oriented with excellent relationship building skills.
Responsibilities of Director of Major Gifts:
- Embrace and articulate the mission and culture of a Growing University and possess a strong working knowledge of its programs and departments.
- Embrace the job of fundraising for a Growing University.
- Meet and exceed annual fundraising goals established by the Senior Vice President and Associate Vice President for Development.
- Manage a team of Advancement Officers focused on securing gifts in excess of $50,000.
- Assist in setting the Advancement Officers’ annual goals, in collaboration and conjunction with the Senior Vice President, Associate Vice President, and the Advancement Officers.
- Proactively identify potential major gift benefactors (including donors to annual giving clubs, as well donors capable of making gifts in excess of $50,000) among alumni, parents, staff, faculty, friends and other sources.
- Meet with, solicit, and close gifts from these donor prospects in order to meet annually established fundraising totals.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and meet regularly with Advancement Officers to plan strategy for top-level donors and develop proposals which align with the University’s top priorities and fit benefactor interests.
- Manage prospect portfolio of current and potential major gift benefactors in a disciplined, organized manner, consulting with the Associate Vice President for Development and other team members regarding strategy, development and action plan for solicitation, closure and stewardship.
- Participate as a member of the University’s overall Institutional Advancement organization in the execution of a comprehensive Institutional Advancement program.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively and work weekends.
- Complete call reports on all prospect and donor interactions.
Requirements of Director of Major Gifts:
- 5+ years successful sales, business development, or fundraising experience, with a demonstrable record of progressive achievement, in an academic setting.
- 3+ years management experience in an academic setting
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required.
- Basic knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM software.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to think and plan strategically.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.