Director of Athletics
We are currently seeking a talented and dedicated Director of Athletics for a great opportunity at a top-tier private University. The ideal candidate will possess 3 years of athletics department leadership experience working in a University or similar environment.
About Greensboro College
Greensboro College provides a liberal arts education fostering intellectual, social, and spiritual development while supporting the individual needs of all students.
Established in 1838, Greensboro College is a four-year private, coeducational liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist Church. With a total enrollment of approximately 1000 students, Greensboro College stresses a small community atmosphere.
- 99% of students are offered financial aid
- 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio
- 99% complete an internship or other experiential opportunity
- After more than 186 years, we’re still finding new ways to grow stronger and help students do the same.
- COMMITTED TO PERSONALIZED LEARNING AND SUPPORT
- Every student has unique strengths, abilities, and needs. We’re here to bring out the best in you. That means understanding how you learn best and adapting your education accordingly.
- DEDICATED TO DEVELOPING LEADERS
- We see amazing potential in our students, often even before they see it themselves. At Greensboro College, you will feel encouraged and empowered to step up and strive for positions you never thought possible.
- LOCATED IN A THRIVING CITY
- Just steps away from campus, you can shop, eat at great restaurants, catch live music, explore the arts, attend a pro sports game, and enjoy the hopping nightlife of downtown Greensboro.
- ENGAGED IN OUR COMMUNITY
- Our students, faculty, and staff have a long and strong history of service to our campus and the surrounding community. From growing vegetables in our campus garden to going on mission work through our Village 401 service program, you’ll have many opportunities to become part of something bigger than yourself.
- ROOTED IN THE LIBERAL ARTS
- By teaching students to process information efficiently, think critically, and communicate effectively, a liberal arts education prepares them for both a successful career and a meaningful life as engaged citizens capable of leading positive change in their communities and beyond.
- GROUNDED IN THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Inspired by the Church’s values, we live and learn under the philosophy of “Open Hearts. Open Minds. Open Doors.” We proudly welcome all people without restriction, providing a well-rounded education that empowers students to think freely and live faithfully.
Responsibilities of Director of Athletics
Greensboro College invites applications for the position of Director of Athletics, who provides administration and supervision of all intercollegiate athletics activities at the College. This position is a 12-month, 40 hours/week with a complete benefits package.
Reporting to the college's President, the Director of Athletics provides vision, leadership, and direction with personal integrity in administering all aspects of a competitive college athletics program. The Director of Athletics is responsible for the operation and accountability of the Athletics Department, including leadership, management, supervision, fund-raising, and campus-wide involvement. Areas of focus should include advocating for the academic success (including graduation) of student-athletes, promoting the quality of the complete student-athlete experience, hiring and retaining quality staff and coaches, and developing a plan for facilities enhancement and maintenance.
Responsibilities of Director of Athletics
- Act as chief administrative officer of the Athletic Department
- Maintain responsibility for all departmental financial affairs, including preparation and control of an annual budget
- Oversee hiring and retention of quality coaches and administrative support staff
- Have direct working knowledge of NCAA Division III rules and regulations governing the operation of the program and supervise compliance of all staff members with those rules and regulations
- Supervise/manage the use of athletic facilities with other campus and external users
- Promote programs that enhance diversity and gender equity in athletics
- Emphasize and oversee the academic development and physical well-being of student-athletes
- Lead athletics fund-raising initiatives and coordinate/collaborate, when appropriate, with the Institutional Advancement office.
- Maintain liaison and open communication channels with campus offices and departments, athletic directors from other schools, students, news media, and staff.
Requirements of Director of Athletics
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or a master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- 3 years experience leading an athletic department in a university setting
- Ability to manage personnel and programs in a higher education environment; establish excellent working relationships in an energetic, collegial environment; and bring a positive attitude and sense of humor to the position.