Magellan Aerospace, Winnipeg is looking for a high performing Director of Quality to join its senior site leadership team. The type of individual who will succeed will have a can-do, no-excuse and driven hands-on approach to Quality Processes, Manufacturing and Continuous improvement. The Director of Quality is the official company representative for all quality matters, both internal and external facing.
This position oversees all aspects of quality policies and plays a major role in leading the overall progress of continuous improvement efforts for the company; building Quality into everything we do.
This role will work closely with and support long-serving Divisional Managers and Business Unit leaders of legacy programs and new product launches ensuring that products are delivered on time in full, right the first time, all the time.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Attractive (FLEX) benefits package (fully Company paid)
- Generous Company pension plan
- Positive work-life balance
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Commitment to professional growth
- Company social events including Company BBQ, children's events, service awards day, winter holiday party and many other events put together by our social committee!
- Employee Social & Welfare Association
- On-site gym
- Employee discounts on tickets to certain sporting events and other entertainment/events
- Flexible work hours
- Full cafeteria with healthy daily specials
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Essential Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for planning, developing, and directing quality policies, programs, and initiatives.
- Create, implement, and monitor the overall quality system for the company based on company strategic plan.
- Maintain compliance with all regulatory agencies, including but not limited to AS 9100, NADCAP, as well as various industry, internal and customer requirements.
- Train, coach and mentor all associates in the use of relevant industry best practices.
- Oversee Quality Control and Quality Engineering function and ensure that expectations are met.
- Develop and implement an effective system for communication, rapid containment, root-cause corrective action, and continuous improvement to prevent recurrence of production, quality and system deficiencies for all internal manufacturing, administrative, and external supplier processes.
- Coordinate quality related activities for the company including supplier quality, manufacturing quality, in-process verification and NDT/DT; interact with customers and government representatives concerning quality matters; and serve as primary contact for internal and external audit function, configuration management system, calibration system.
Position Requirements / Qualifications
- 10+ years hands-on experience, leading Quality Programs and building systems.
- 10+ years Management experience at a Manager level or higher.
- 5+ years Quality Management experience specifically in the Aerospace sector (direct and indirect employees).
- 5+ years of direct experience successfully interacting and negotiating with Government and Industry regulators.
- Lean and CI with hands-on experience participating in Kaizen events (experience in leading events would be helpful).
- ISO and AS9100 audit experience.
- Highly technical, Multi-product manufacturing experience.
- Shared processing resources experience.
- Union experience.
- Operations and Capital Budgeting, Planning and Reporting experience with a strong emphasis on accurate one-month and rolling forecasts.
- Several years of shop-flow optimization experience.
- Union Experience and negotiation experience with units of 250+.
- SAP or other ERP roll out experience.
- Experience dealing directly with Vendors and Customers to strengthen the supply chain from a quality stand point.
- Experience in a matrixed business structure.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent proactive communication and active listening skills.
- Polished presenter; comfortable presenting information to all levels within the organization (from floor to exec office).
- Highly organized and Results-driven with a ‘never give up’ approach.
- Change agent who is not afraid to challenge legacy processes and the status quo with the goal of continuous improvement.
- Visionary and Cutting Edge Technology-Savvy when it comes to inspection processes and building quality into manufacturing process.
- University degree in Business, Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Accredited Professional Engineer designation (P.Eng.) preferred.
- Master’s degree in Engineering and/or Business preferred.
- Quality Management Certificate/diploma preferred.
- Lean Certified Black Belt preferred.
- Certificate in Management (CIM) preferred.
- Formal training in Continuous Improvement principles (e.g., 5S/6S, VSM, SPC, DOE) preferred.
- Project Management (PMP) designation preferred.
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, and defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!
Magellan Aerospace respects the privacy and confidentiality of personal information provided by candidates and shall not disclose to any external parties unless legislated.
Thank you for considering this exciting opportunity. This document is intended to provide the reader with information and is not a contractual document. Some of the material therefore may be subject to change.