Reporting to the Vice President of a regional transportation provider.
The Director, Operations is responsible for the strategic planning, organizing, leading, and controlling of operational functions for a flatbed, RGN, drop-deck, & step deck fleet. They will lead 7 direct reports with a goal to increase the number of trucks in the fleet during 2021. Partners with Human Resources in the recruiting, interviewing, selection, on-boarding, and training of new employees. Actively engages with Operations, Sales, and Support Departments to support business strategies and goals. Manages fleet productivity by tracking critical performance indicators. Produces exceptional results, driving team to achieve and exceed business goals. Recommends and implements appropriate plans for improvement. Partners with Customer Service, Sales and Fleet Managers on drivers' day-to-day personal, financial, productivity, training, safety, and service needs, reviewing and reconciling related reports. Drives a culture of Safety. Partners with Fleet Managers on DOT-regulated items including drug screens, electronic log hours, and other safety related matters, serving as a point for escalations while providing direction and ensuring scheduled completion and/or resolution. Provides effective employee performance management utilizing SMART goals, constructive feedback, coaching for improvement, and progressive discipline. Assists in the establishment of the operating budget and strategic plan, ensuring all company and department goals are met. Participate in continuous improvement activities by reviewing, changing, and improving processes in line with changing customer expectations/organizational goals. Background Required:
Background Preferred (but not required):
- Open deck and/or heavy haul (5 years)
- Transportation operations management (2 years)
- Personnel management (1-2 years)
- Safety: (CSA, HOS, DOT, FMCSR, OSHA)
- Established standard operating procedures and metrics (KPI’s)
- Driver retention strategies & committed to drivers
- Transportation software (i.e. Lytx, Omnitracs, PeopleNet, TMW, McLeod, Netwise)
- Computer literate: Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, & Outlook
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or 3-5 years related experience and/or training
- Residence: Minneapolis, MN (Relocation assistance provided)
Other Essential Abilities and Skills:
- Grew carrier into a larger entity
- Process improvement
- Employee performance management (training, coaching, recognition, rewards)
- Excellent communications (written, listening and verbal).
- Fast-paced environment
- Empowers team collaboratively
- Leader not a manager
If you are interested in this opportunity but you’re not ready to apply, please email the Practice Leader provided below with your questions.
Practice Leader: Josiah DiPaolo
330.664.9400, ext.140Click here to apply online