Our client is a leading, omni-channel, multimillion dollar retailer whose products cover indoor and outdoor rooms, gardens, pets, personal comfort and care, safety and emergencies, weather instruments, storage solutions and gifts.
The winning candidate will be a collaborative, team player who embraces challenge and thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
PLEASE NOTE: RETAIL DEMAND PLANNING, REPLENISHMENT & ALLOCATION EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Oversee virtually all aspects of the purchase order lifecycle from beginning to end for all channels and multiple brands. Our products have long lead times due to both the catalog-planning cycle and because most products are manufactured and shipped from China. The Director Inventory Management will work with the merchants to identify products to carry-over, drop or add. They will work with catalog and E-Comm marketing to forecast demand for promotional campaigns, determining optimum order quantities, placing orders with suppliers and executing exit/liquidation strategies to drive maximum profitability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee preparation of inventory forecasting and purchasing plan by product category, brand and promotional campaign (catalog and digital).
- Maintain the appropriate inventory availability across all channels and ensure unproductive inventory is minimized. Identify the appropriate actions to maximize inventory productivity, including price monitoring and optimization.
- Establish, implement and analyze methods and best practices related to the systems and processes that support inventory management, forecasting and replenishment.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of Inventory Software tools, elevate the department’s utilization of the inventory management and merchandise planning system and eliminate inefficient system work arounds. Lead the development of system enhancements and implementations relating to merchandise planning and analysis.
- Implement a KPI scorecard that monitors inventory levels, service levels and financials. Identify and build key dashboards and metrics to monitor the performance of the inventory operations.
- Develop and provide monthly inventory metrics including inventory position, budget (Open to Buy) and financial forecasts, to senior management. Create and distribute ad hoc reports and analysis as requested by suppliers and others in the organization.
- Collaborate with suppliers on processes and procedures, service performance, forecasts, production schedules, inventory levels, and inventory visibility. Be an active participant in vendor meetings.
- Manage the product life cycle to support new product introductions, product drops and SKU rationalization. Plan and analyze sales, receipts, and inventory and direct the assortment planning process across all merchandise categories. Develop and utilize exception reporting to identify top/poor sellers by category and product.
- Mentor, educate and develop staff of seven buyers and support personnel.
- Works collaboratively across Product Development, Merchandising, Marketing, Creative, Operations and Finance in support of corporate initiatives.
The requirements listed below represent the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required, to perform job function:
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations, Mathematics, Supply Chain or a similar field of study preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of direct experience in supply chain or in a manufacturing, wholesale distribution or retail business.
- International (importing) expertise strongly desired.
- In-depth knowledge of supply chain management, logistics, purchasing, inventory management, forecasting, and replenishment.
- Expert in utilization of inventory management software tools (Direct Tech SPI merchandising and inventory planning modules, Asana Process Planning, and various OMS & ERP systems such as MS Dynamics AX ERP system). High level expertise in Excel and Access.
- Strong leadership capabilities with a proven ability to manage and develop teams, and quickly drive change. Proven experience managing teams of 6+ direct reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated process improvement and problem-solving skills.
- Able to understand and think strategically and implement long-term plans. Can handle both long-term and short-term goals simultaneously.