Our public Retail apparel client with a fast-growing store and Ecommerce business has an outstanding career opportunity for a Director Engineering, Ecommerce!
As the eCommerce Director of Engineering, you will manage a sizeable team and be responsible for defining, developing, and delivering short and long-term IT and Engineering strategies, products, projects, and support for customer-facing eCommerce and Omni-channel business goals. In his highly influential role, you will partner closely with a cross-functional team, designing and creating innovative, cutting-edge features and experiences across all customer touchpoints online and within mobile experiences. You'll also lead Agile teams through rapidly evolving complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal IT organizations, third-party partners, and cross-functional business units.
Required is the ability to lead cross-functional teams to align strategies, prioritize initiatives, define scope and deliverables, deliver projects and manage production support issues. Overseeing and leading internal Engineering Development Leads, Iteration Managers, Project Technical Consultants, Developers, QA, vendors, SLAs, contracts, and project financial performance, having the ability to "roll up your sleeves" and become hands-on when needed is essential.
This is a highly visible, influential role, where you'll partner closely with all levels of the organization. The right candidate will be a customer-obsessed, results-oriented software leader committed to technical excellence who gets excited about frequently starting from scratch, running hard, and solving tough technical, operational, and business challenges. You'll also be an integral part of a game-changing, highly confidential upcoming initiative.
Engineering Strategy and Architecture: 34%
- Co-own (with Product Management, Business Owners, and stakeholders) the customer-facing product strategy and roadmap in a cross-functional partnership with Product Management, Product Marketing, Business Owners, and other stakeholders.
- Responsible for new software development, enhancements/modifications, system configurations, migrations/upgrades, and production support.
- Lead the high-quality execution of software products against project plans and delivery commitments.
- Provide hands-on leadership to Software Development Managers and Engineers, supporting operations functions within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Responsibility for related application, technology, data scalability, and security related to global eCommerce and mobile growth.
- Lead the development, deployment, and support of new and existing processes and tools to improve Engineering and eCommerce workforce productivity and colleague engagement.
Production and Operational excellence: 33%
- Provide production operations and support.
- Influence the company-wide business strategy by articulating critical architecture, design, or technology challenges and building understanding among executive decision-makers.
- Resolve complex technical issues, remove obstacles for teams and help all projects to move forward on schedule and budget.
- Work closely with Engineers and Product Managers to architect and develop the best technical designs for reliability and scalability.
- Technically dive deep; balance technology needs with business and customers' needs and demands.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to handle multiple simultaneous projects/programs in various application areas.
Practice and Industry leadership and growth: 33%
- Build and operate a high-performance software development organization via hiring, mentoring, and growing a best-of-class product development Engineering team.
- Lead critical enterprise-wide initiatives with cross-functional team members.
- Directly oversee in-house and external consulting resources as well as indirect coordination of managed services teams.
- Align technology with business eCommerce strategy, including scope definition, cost estimations, resource allocation, business requirements, process design, technical specifications, data management, compliance, and testing.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, IT, or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years experience building and managing development teams that design and deliver large distributed systems - preferably in an Agile development environment, with object-oriented systems realm with high availability.
- 6+ years experience leading Engineering groups across Web Dev, Data, and Mobile Native Application integrated technology teams, leading directly and via Managers.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with the application's design and management of an eCommerce platform on site(s) that gross more than $200M annually.
- Omnichannel experience developing and managing the operation and continued growth of multi-channel, multi-brand, and global websites.
- Must possess a strong software development and project management skillset with proven success in driving multiple large enterprise initiatives throughout the entire lifecycle within an Agile product development environment.
- Must be technically credible to lead teams of world-class software engineers and make the right design decisions and technology choices.
- Must be credible in leadership with partner-stakeholders (Business, Merchant, Marketing, Operations, business, product/program, etc.) for strong team and results-oriented delivery.
- Demonstrated experience in building/operating products and systems in a customer-centric e-commerce space is required.
- Detail-oriented on technology, technical development, quality, operations, and system performance.
- Proven track record of innovation; detail-oriented, team-oriented, self-directed, and adaptable to new development environments and changing business requirements.
- Experience building and managing a team of employees and consultants; managing budgets and internal and external resources; managing, escalating, and resolving risks/issues and status reporting to senior management; and implementing, upgrading, and maintaining eCommerce platform and systems.
- Experience managing employee and contractor teams responsible for new development, enhancements, and production support in a retail environment. Experience in supporting vendor contracting, including creating statements of work, purchase orders, and invoice receipts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - demonstrated ability to influence technical and non-technical audiences, including those at the senior leadership levels.
Preferred Requirements (skills and abilities):
- Strong experience collaborating with C-Level, SVP, EVP, VP, and Director level associates.
- Hands-on; debugging issues, unit testing, code reviewing, and deploying components.
- Deep working knowledge in Mobile application, mashups, and social experience development is desired.
- Knowledge of relational database concepts like SQL, indexes and constraints, transactions, and object-relational mapping.
- Experience with Web Services, SOA, React.js, and SDLC are highly desirable.
- Experience with security mechanisms to secure external-facing websites and mobile.