Director of Corporate Communication
About the Organization:
The organization is a professional membership association headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. The organization supports the role of human resources as a profession and provides education, certification, and networking to its members, while lobbying Congress on issues pertinent to labor management.
- Revenue: $113M
- Number of employees: 400
- Members: 285,000
The Director of Corporate Communications manages day-to-day communication projects across departments for the world’s largest membership organization focused on advocacy issues to make work better. Play a role in changing the environment of work and changing some of society’s greatest challenges that run through the workplace (pay inequality, sexual harassment, immigration, skills shortage, paid family leave, and more) by engaging influencers and audiences across global media, events and content platforms for both internal and external audiences. The ideal candidate will bring an understanding of reputation and issues management, executive visibility and stakeholder engagement through internal and external communication channels. Strong writing and communication and project management skills coupled with the ability to multi-task will be the keys to success in this position.
- Ensure that corporate communications are developed and executed at an exemplary level.
- Effectively communicate SHRM's vision, mission, and strategic goals, and ensure consistency with SHRM's corporate messaging and brand.
- Drive communications strategies that are aligned with SHRM's business goals.
- Lead development of long-range communication plans, goals and objectives.
- Oversee all executive and board communications and speeches.
- Develop and manage messaging for SHRM, including strategic messaging plan for conferences and events.
- Oversee internal and employee communications.
- Manage day-to-day internal client projects and deliverables.
- Live SHRM’s culture and represent SHRM in the marketplace.
- Work cross-functionally to ensure a consistency in message across all departments and projects.
- Produce metric reports on the impact of Corp Communications.
- Understand how to internally communicate the story around Government Affairs and policy.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Requires in excess of 10 years of progressively responsible professional level experience including an extensive communications background.
- Requires previous work experience leading Communication's strategic planning and directly managing executive communications.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Knowledge of effective communication and employee commitment/engagement strategies with a diverse workforce.
- Demonstrated leadership skills (inspiring, problem solving, communication across multiple organizations, executing) to champion a productive, motivating organizational culture.
- Experience managing multiple complex projects involving multiple customers, interests and goals.
- Strong blend of management skills and technical expertise demonstrated by superior planning.
- 25% travel required.