Our multi-billion dollar, West coast client has been a regional leader for nearly 70 years. With several hundred locations, and an omni-channel presence, they continue to drive business growth while maintaining their commitment to sustainability and to the local communities they serve, donating over $2.5M annually.
The Director, Benefits and Leave Administration is responsible for directing the strategic planning, design, implementation, regulatory compliance, communication and administration of all corporate wide benefits and leave programs to support the organization’s business strategy and objectives. The position is responsible for leading a team of benefits professionals, who implement, maintain compliance and administer the programs and work with vendors, consultants and brokers to achieve the strategic goals of the company adopted to attract and retain top talent. This position oversees the decision making process for determining leave and accommodation eligibility under federal and state laws and Company policies. The Director is responsible for responding to claims and attending hearings related to disability matters with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and other federal and/or local agencies. In addition, this position oversees unemployment insurance matters and claim management.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Oversees leave of absence and accommodations programs and unemployment insurance programs for all locations, providing subject matter expertise and leadership for the Human Resources department.
- Contribute to the development of the Total Rewards strategy across all businesses and functions, in collaboration with others; ensure internal equity and external market competitiveness of benefit programs.
- Collaborate with external vendors, brokers and consultants in benefit areas to ensure the company is positioned competitively and stays current on market trends, legal requirements, and changes in the retail grocery industry.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive communication strategy for benefit programs and identify opportunities to better enable the company to improve employee engagement; facilitate proactive and effective messaging to educate employees as well as support the company’s growth and strategic plan.
- Manage staff, coaching, setting performance standards, and work goals.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of existing benefit programs, policies and guidelines and ensure market competitiveness, cost effectiveness, alignment with corporate goals and compliance with company policies, federal legislation and other government and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates with the Labor Relations Department with union negotiations relative to health and welfare benefit plan designs for union members in support of the overall corporate and labor strategy.
- Develop health and welfare benefit strategy and direct the design, implementation, communication and cost control of health and welfare benefit programs for employees and retirees.
- Oversight of benefits budget, monitoring actual expenses to plans and build partnerships within finance to ensure accuracy and timeliness of accruals. Oversees leave of absence and accommodations programs and unemployment insurance programs for all locations.
- Oversees unemployment insurance matters and claims management.
- Responsible for the interactive process of requests for accommodation ensuring consistency and compliance with State and Federal leave laws.
- Responsible for the return to work process with regards to accommodations
Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Knowledge and understanding of federal and state employment laws: ERISA, FMLA, EEO, HIPAA, and related laws and regulatory requirements.
- Broad compensation and benefits expertise, with a mix of operational, plan design and strategic experience.
- Proven ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organizational.
- Experience creating and presenting executive summaries.
- Strong strategic, operational, organizational and system thinking skills.
- Strong negotiation and influential skills.
- Highest personal and professional integrity.
Education: Four-year college degree or equivalent knowledge gained through formal education, specialized training, or additional job experience
Experience: Eight years of directly related experience
Other: Occasional travel required.