Director of Plant Operations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Scientific, Technical or Engineering field required. Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering is a plus.
- 12+ years of increasingly responsible manufacturing experience required, at least 5 years in the coatings/chemical production industry preferred.
- 4+ years of direct supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated leadership of safety initiatives.
- Demonstrated track record leading the improvement of operations while delivering day to day performance.
- Familiarity with the operations of all plant departments: production, engineering and maintenance, quality, materials management, etc.
- Participative management style and excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience building a strong management team.
- Strong business acumen and working knowledge process control and improvement tools.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills; be able to communicate with, manage and motivate people at all levels, from staff to sub-contractors.
- It is extremely desirable for the Director of Plant Operations to be familiar with the type of manufacturing processes carried out. Technical experience / expertise in coatings manufacturing, pigment milling, distillation, process safety management and processing of hazardous materials is a decided plus.
While performing this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger; handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include but are not limited to close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, the ability to differentiate color variations and the ability to adjust focus.
SUMMARY & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
This position is responsible for all activities that occur within the PA manufacturing facility sites. The Director of Plant Operations PA, operates effectively as a leader with direct responsibility for manufacturing and key support process operations including production, engineering and maintenance, shipping and receiving, the physical plant, equipment and grounds. The purpose of this position is to achieve continuous improvements in the areas of safety, efficiency, quality, customer service and leadership to deliver financial profitability for the plants.
While a standard 40-hour working week is the norm, the Director Plant Operations can expect evening and weekend work on occasion to meet deadlines. The Director Plant Operations is responsible for the harmonious interaction and handoff of production amongst the various shifts.
The Director Plant Operations’ work location is the production facility; personal protective equipment must be worn. The incumbent should also expect to have to work with chemicals at varying times.
Business travel is required –between production sites to share best practices, attend learning conferences, and better integrate into the corporate supply chain. There will be times that the Director Plant Operations will to attend industry conferences or visit with customers.
This is a unionized environment. The Director Plant Operations should have experience in dealing with union contracts, management of union personnel and participation in union negotiations.
- Oversee plant operations for two sites in PA, on a day-to-day basis, and ensure that work is done safely, on time and within budget and to the right quality standards.
- Responsible for all aspects of production and achieving key performance measurements related to personnel safety, quality, and cost, while continually improving process reliability and performance.
- Build a culture of mutual respect, teamwork, and professionalism, demonstrating active support in the Company’s values and policies.
- Build an organization that is customer focused with strong business acumen.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations including; OSHA health and safety legislation, EPA regulatory requirements (both state and federal), the USW CBA, and all other legal requirements.
- Responsible for weekly reporting of KPI’s and continuous improvement efforts.
- Responsible for monitoring progress, oversee delivery of materials and carry out safety checks and sort out any problems which could hold up work as they arise.
- It is the responsibility of the Director of Plant Operations to ensure that the schedule for producing product is met.
- Responsible for Engineering activities, along with Capital Project planning and execution.
- There should be a good sense of team work on the site and a culture in line with that of the company.
- The Director of Plant Operations will perform any additional duties as assigned.