Our client is a public retailer providing confident lifestyle brands and the latest fashion for style obsessed women and men.
The Cut and Sew Knits Designer will work closely with the Design Director to develop initial concepts and maintain inspirational and working design boards with a balanced assortment for cut and sew knit categories.
- Consistently shop and research marketplace, including competitors for inspirations and opportunities in product, fabric, wash, color, and trims; identify and present trend direction.
- Create and present design boards for each season, including mockups, reference garments, fabrics, and trims; pull research and trim options for design selection.
- Work with Design Director to create concepts, select color stories, develop fabrics, prints, trims, and graphics.
- Present designs and visual boards (with CADS, illustrations, fabrications, and garments samples) to cross-functional partners and design leaders.
- Oversee the day-to-day design for Cut and Sew categories, managing the design process from concept to completion while partnering with the Director to ensure alignment on business strategies, priorities, and trend direction.
- Actively participates in the conceptual development of product lines (i.e., sells ideas/concepts and convinces others to adopt a course of action).
- Plan the line according to sales needs, cost parameters, and emerging trends while maintaining customer appeal.
- Showcase silhouette, fabric, print, pattern, and color range; work with Head Designers on possible color palettes for specific products.
- Partner with merchandising to assort line and develop product appropriate for business needs.
- Review weekly business and selling reports to improve the relevance of products in the pipeline.
- Design and sketch seasonal collections, including tops, bottoms, skirts, shorts, jackets, and dresses.
- Works closely with production partner to ensure design packages are complete and accurate with detailed garment views and flat "call-out" sketches to describe garment construction for factory technical packages.
- Sketch modifications/ updates after design review in fittings to be sent with fit comments back to factories.
- Work with cross-functional partners (Merchandising, Production, and Tech) to ensure product integrity from sketch, protos, and assortment samples to bulk.
- Work with the Design Development team to gather the material needed for development.
- Request fabrics for protos and samples
- Request lab dips and strike-offs through bulk production.
- Execute print and pattern with CAD teams.
- Attend fittings with the tech team.
- College degree in Fashion Design or a related field.
- 7+ years design experience, experience with knit fabrication strongly preferred, but not required.
- 5+ years Cut & Sew Design experience with a range of different types from active to novelty fashion knits, including graphic tee shirts.
- Passion for tee shirts and tanks, hoodies and sweatshirts, and an eye for new and now fashion silhouettes.
- Prolific in fashion shape and silhouette ideation with the skill to identify the in-the-moment details and trends specific to this category.
- Ability to identify key trends and determine how they appropriately relate to the brand consumer.
- Advanced contemporary aesthetic; strong knowledge of fit, fabric, construction details, pattern, and color; strong background is assorting tasteful color and pattern stories.
- Able to design key items, modern and feminine fashion; have a broad hand to cover each of these aspects confidently.
- Must have experience and success partnering with cross-functional teams including Merchants, Tech Design & Production.
- Able to influence merchant partners in trends and big ideas they believe in.
- Organized, articulate, and clear in decision-making when working with Tech Design & Production partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to present focused visual presentations and to speak to designs with clarity.
- Strong problem-solving skills along with the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Ability to manage and help develop skills of direct reports; previous experience in managing assistants/support teams.
- Strong design and drawing skills with the ability to communicate ideas through hand sketches.
- Proficient sketching in Illustrator and working in Photoshop and InDesign.
- Experience in a PLM/PDM system.