The Dental Assistant aids the Dentist by providing assistance as directed by dental protocol.
- Ensures quality of care by preparing treatment area for patient; cleans, sterilizes and sets up treatment area, and pulls patients chart.
- Prepares patient for treatment by reviewing medical chart, greeting, seating, draping, taking blood pressure, as necessary, and providing information.
- Assures efficiency of dentist by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area; positioning instruments for dentists access; suctioning and passing instruments.
- Assures readiness of materials by selecting, mixing basses/impression materials, and placing materials for use.
- Takes and develops patients x-rays, as requested by Dentist and per regulatory and department protocol and procedures.
- Mounts and files dental x-rays per department procedures.
- Maintains patient confidence by counseling patient on dental health, requesting consent for extractions/treatment, giving post-op instructions, and scheduling follow-up appointment.
- Protects patients and co-workers by adhering to infection control policies and procedures.
- Maintains and monitors equipment for department operations, assuring that autoclave is monitored by using spore testing.
- Assures adequate stock is on hand by inventorying and ordering supplies as necessary.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by following procedures for maintenance, evaluation and usage.
- Maintains x-ray equipment and ensure operation by following procedures for maintenance, evaluation and usage.
- Assures treatment areas are adequately stocked and ready for use.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities