Duration: 1 year contract to start
The purpose of this position is to help contribute to the overall ongoing and evolving RDBMS strategy for Clearing, Trading and Corporate environments. The Database Engineer consults and provides direction on the planning, administering and provisioning of corporate data on all IT related initiatives, which includes RDBMS systems on Linux, Unix, Windows and Mainframe based infrastructure. The Database Engineer works to understand the current implemented base to provide feedback to DB roadmap to the future state. This role provides planning and support for initiatives going into production and its ongoing optimal performance and sustainability. This position provides database administration of all the Corporate Production, QA, Development and Test databases.
The role involves the establishment and utilization of effective policies and procedures for the definition, management, protection, and efficient utilization of systems, data and databases. This includes building automation, scripts, installation, migration, monitoring, backup and recovery, tuning, resolving complex client related problems, and resolving all database related work/change orders in a timely manner. Provides support for level 2 escalations and hands-on support of RDBMS and operational activities as required; participates in the 7 x 24 on-call rotation. This position will require the incumbent to work after business hours and during the weekends on short notice.
- Database Analysis and Design: Enforcement of database standards; works with Development Teams to design new databases and/or change existing databases
- Database Monitoring/Tuning: Lead efforts to develop and improve procedures; for automated monitoring of database availability and performance; Review performance stats and recommend changes for tuning database, server, storage configurations, and application SQL
- Database Backup/Recovery: Participate in periodic backup audits, ensuring all databases and associated logs are being backed-up; Periodically conduct test database restores to validate backup integrity through regularly scheduled Disaster Recovery exercises
- Database Problem Resolution: Assume ownership of database related problems; pursuing short and long-term problem resolution and root cause analysis; Work across support teams to gather information, determine and implement resolutions; Coordinate interaction with vendors in critical database problem situations
- Database Software Installation and Upgrades: Identify hardware, software and configurations necessary to build and run database systems optimally
- Contributes to the technical and strategic direction for the Database Management environment
- Liaises with Infrastructure vendors marketing and support groups to keep abreast of industry trends
- Provides input to the technical and strategic direction of Database Management related hardware and software
- Provides support in the evaluation and proof of concept for Database Management hardware and software
- Work as a team player in a fast-paced environment and under constant pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Provide level 2 escalation and hands-on support to project and operational activities as required; participates in the 7 x 24 on-call rotation
Must Have Skills
- Hands on Database Management experience in the automation, deployment, administration and maintenance of software such as DB2 mainframe & Linux/AIX, Sybase, Postgres, Oracle, and SQL Server. – minimum 5 years
- Exposure to real time applications and large databases (multiple TB).
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Database data protection and Disaster Recovery experience with high available, mission critical applications
- Working knowledge of AIX, Linux, Windows, Hypervisors and Cloud
- Excellent scripting skills (Perl, Powershell, Python, Rexx/Clist)
- Knowledge of Middleware systems, payment system, messaging - Swiftnet, Websphere, Webmethods, Business Object, MQSeries.
- Security awareness (Swift CSP, LDAP, Active directory, ITIM/ITAM, SAML)
- Experience with configuration management systems (Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field of study
- Excellent oral and written communication skills plus leadership with big picture delivery mindset
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Nice To Have(s)
- Previous experience in the Capital Markets industry
- Experience with data migration between platforms