Our client is seeking a resource with to fulfill a Data Modeler role they have open within their company.
- The role of the Data Modeler is to expand the company’s use of data as a strategic enabler of corporate goals and objectives.
- The Data Modeler will achieve this by strategically designing, developing, and implementing data models for enterprise-level applications and systems. These models shall be designed at the following layers: conceptual, logical, business area, and application.
- This individual will act as the primary advocate of data modeling methodologies and data processing best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver long-term goals for data modeling and standards in conjunction with data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Establish processes for governing the identification, collection, and use of corporate metadata; take steps to assure metadata accuracy and validity.
- Establish methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy, and improvement.
- Conduct data capacity planning, life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks.
- Assess and determine governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the organization.
- Assist and promote data management methodologies and standards.
- Oversee the mapping of data sources, data movement, interfaces, and analytics, with the goal of ensuring data quality.
- Collaborate with project managers and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data.
- Identify and develop opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement.
Skills and Experience Desired
- College degree in computer science, information systems, or computer engineering.
- 6+ years work experience as a data molder or data architect.
- 4+ years work experience as a data molder using ERWIN
- 3+ year of Insurance experience, property causality will be a plus.
- Knowledge of TOGAF framework, certification preferred not required.
- Hands-on experience with large-scale data modeling, data mining and business requirements gathering/analysis.
- Experience with Data Warehousing data population techniques for target structures such as Star Schemas, Snowflake Schemas, and highly normalized data models
- Direct experience in implementing enterprise data management processes, procedures, and decision support.
- Strong understanding of relational data structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Strong familiarity with metadata management and associated processes.
- Highly developed knowledge of database design principles with specific application to a data warehouse development including the handling of history, support for slowly changing dimensions and techniques for addressing performance issues;
- Experience creating documentation including functional specifications, source to target mappings, system specifications
- Experience in building and maintaining database applications including creation and administration of database objects like tables, indexes, views, physical data constraints, access privileges and general database administrative tasks.
- Experience in building customized code in SQL, PL/SQL (or equivalent) or other Data-mining / ETL tools.
- Strong knowledge of enterprise data systems and databases. SQL Server and/or Oracle required. Knowledge of both will be an added advantage.
- Hands-on knowledge of enterprise repository tools, data modeling tools, data mapping tools, and data profiling tools.
- Experience with BI tools like Congos, Power BI is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving and time management skills.
- Ability to communicate well with the business and conduct requirement analysis
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Dedicated to completing assigned tasks and delivering high quality software under deadline