the Counsel, IP will support a variety of Corporate products and use their legal expertise to support our IP practice area.
In this role, you will join a global high performing Legal team and enjoy high visibility and extensive interface with Japan and U.S. stakeholders.
[Litigation & Dispute Management]
[Patent Asset Management]
- Locally manage the U.S. patent related disputes and litigation for in-house clients (“Clients” ) either directly or through outside litigation counsel.
- Effectively and accurately communicate risks, issues, procedures, and legal concepts to clients regarding such disputes and litigation cases.
- Negotiate license contracts and dispute settlement agreements with counter-parties for the benefit of Clients.
- Effectively and accurately communicate with Clients regarding negotiations and related issues by clearly expressing factual and legal issues orally and/or in written form.
- Conduct legal and factual research.
- To maintain procedural schedule and deadlines to properly prepare actions Patent Asset Management
[Patent Pool & Technology Standardization]
- To review Company Group’s patent assets to select high-value patents to fit the purposes of Client-divisions.
- Be responsible for communications and time management as to in-house clients at PC or any other Corporate company.
- Manage external communications with potential transactional partners or outside professionals in coordination with President.
- Act either as Company’s representative or as his/her Advisor regarding important patent pool licensing activities in which PIPCA is involved from time to time.
- Render legal advice to Company’s management (IPC).
- Train professional trainees from Clients who are assigned to the Company.
- To perform limited administrative tasks necessary to properly render the duties described above, or direct administrative staff for that purpose.
Education & Experience:
- Bilingual language skills (English and Japanese) to facilitate communication with PC Japan
- J.D. Required
- Bar Membership in at least one State (CA Bar preferable)
- Minimum five years of IP litigation and licensing practice experience in either a corporate in-house department or private practice with a nationally reputable law firm
- This role is based in Torrance, CA.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally when travel resumes (20%)
- Flexibility to operate efficiently in a large multinational organization where internal clients are located both in Japan and the U.S. •
- Ability to quickly understand Clients’ needs and to advise proper actions under each given circumstance if involved risk or transaction is significant, but independently as to routine matters.
- Knowledge of Japanese as a second language or familiarity and interest in business and culture involving Japan and Japanese organizations
Education & Experience:
- 1 trip annually to Japan (flexibly adjusted subject to other schedule)
- 1 trip annually to New Jersey (ditto)
- 2 to 3 times annually to out-of-state court hearings or meetings