Controller Job Overview:
Our client, a global leader in their industry, is looking to identify a key leader to join their financial management team. This Controller should possess strong technical GAAP accounting skills along with a comprehensive understanding of internal and external financial reporting. S/he will be a hands-on manager who will report to and partner with the CFO in developing and providing comprehensive financial updates to senior management via evaluating and analyzing appropriate data points. The Controller should have the capacity and acumen to provide insights to aid in the delivery of company strategies by creating and reporting primarily financial information about all company activities designed to assist management, its shareholders and other users in making educated economic decisions about the company's future.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions, loans, and government contracts
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures
- In conjunction with the CFO, establish financial and operating benchmarks, program monitoring, and reporting standards on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis (or as required by the business).
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow
- Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity
- Serve as a “trusted advisor,” and function as a key point of contact for accounting and finance and business stakeholders and help generate the system roadmap for stakeholders
- Oversee the execution of projects to help optimize all elements of the finance/accounting function.
- Work with system owners who drive the definition, planning, and implementation of our core reporting business systems in Finance.
- Collaborate across teams. Play a critical role as a liaison in creating alignment between leadership teams, business partners, and support functions.
- Strong understanding of Finance and Accounting function and the people, process, and technology that support the finance function is required.
- Oversee the activities of the corporate accounting department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and annual budgets.
- Assure corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company's value.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting; Experience in a “Big Four” accounting firm and CPA strongly desired.
- 10+ years of proven accounting experience with a minimum of 3 years in a leadership capacity
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Detail-oriented with a high sense of urgency and exceptional organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical, teamwork, and leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively lead, manage and prioritize multiple projects, while effectively operating in a fast-paced, complex global organization with shifting schedules and priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Ability to work efficiently and achieve high quality results.
- Subject matter expert; provides guidance more than requires it.