To engineer and design all controls system hardware aspects, provide innovative solutions, and deliver best in class systems for customers. This position requires positive motivated team members working together with a “whatever it takes” attitude and commitment to excellence.
Duties and responsibilities
- Execute controls design process according to Engineering process workflow
- Participate in project kickoff meetings and support project managers on timing, budget, scope and information required to successfully start the project.
- Review and understand project requirements, including any supporting information and any available standards/specifications to ensure complete and accurate deliverables to the customer.
- Investigate equipment that will be purchased from third parties which may include writing clear specifications for this equipment if necessary.
- Work with project management and purchasing to identify and procure “long lead” items (those with delivery timing of 6 weeks or more).
- Create controls approval drawings according to project schedule.
- Design, detail, and check (as needed) according to project schedule.
- Release complete and accurate drawing packages including BOM’s, to ensure a smooth transition to project management, purchasing, manufacturing and integration.
- Support project management and engineering manager with ECN process as needed to manage expectations and impact to budget and timing when outside of original project scope.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner with all team members.
- Support controls Integration and controls software groups during installation and start up.
- Receive and update controls hardware redlines and update prior to system shipment.
- Become proficient at understanding the requirements of ANSI/RIA 15.06-2012 Safety Standards and applying them to the project applications and design considerations.
- Participate in internal risk assessment for assigned projects.
- Participate in supporting engineering documentation and project deliverables to customer according to project timing.
- Occasionally required to participate in reviewing and supporting sales and proposal process as assigned by engineering manager.
- Occasional travel required within North America (less than 10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or equivalent work experience with minimum of 8 years in controls hardware design of Robotic and Automation Systems.
- Proven track record managing all controls hardware aspects of engineering projects
- Experience in AutoCAD design software
- Experience in designing systems controlled with various controllers and devices: PLC’s (Allen Bradley and Siemens), Safety Controllers (SICK, PILZ), HMI, KAREL controlled,
- Familiar with electrical codes: NFPA 70 National Electric Code (NEC), NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, ANSI/RIA R15.06-2012 Robot Systems Safety requirements.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize and be flexible in addressing customer inquiries (“what if” scenarios) and support potential ECN’s with Engineering Manager and Project management.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timelines.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects while still maintaining accuracy.
- Must have excellent computer knowledge in most Microsoft office software.