To engineer and design all controls system hardware aspects, provide innovative solutions, and deliver best in class systems for Shape Process Automation customers. This position requires positive motivated team members working together with a “whatever it takes” attitude and commitment to excellence.
Duties and responsibilities
- Execute controls design process according to Engineering process workflow
- Participate in project kickoff meetings and support project managers on timing, budget, scope and information required to successfully start the project.
- Review and understand project requirements, including any supporting information and any available standards/specifications to ensure complete and accurate deliverables to the customer.
- Investigate equipment that will be purchased from third parties which may include writing clear specifications for this equipment if necessary.
- Work with project management and purchasing to identify and procure “long lead” items (those with delivery timing of 6 weeks or more).
- Create controls approval drawings according to project schedule.
- Design, detail, and check (as needed) according to project schedule.
- Release complete and accurate drawing packages including BOM’s, to ensure a smooth transition to project management, purchasing, manufacturing and integration.
- Support project management and engineering manager with ECN process as needed to manage expectations and impact to budget and timing when outside of original project scope.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner with all team members.
- Support controls Integration and controls software groups during installation and start up.
- Receive and update controls hardware redlines and update prior to system shipment.
- Become proficient at understanding the requirements of ANSI/RIA 15.06-2012 Safety Standards and applying them to the project applications and design considerations.
- Participate in internal risk assessment for assigned projects.
- Participate in supporting engineering documentation and project deliverables to customer according to project timing.
- Occasionally required to participate in reviewing and supporting sales and proposal process as assigned by engineering manager.
- Occasional travel required within North America (less than 10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or equivalent work experience with minimum of 8 years in controls hardware design of Robotic and Automation Systems.
- Proven track record managing all controls hardware aspects of engineering projects
- Experience in AutoCAD design software
- Experience in designing systems controlled with various controllers and devices: PLC’s (Allen Bradley and Siemens), Safety Controllers (SICK, PILZ), HMI, KAREL controlled,
- Familiar with electrical codes: NFPA 70 National Electric Code (NEC), NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, ANSI/RIA R15.06-2012 Robot Systems Safety requirements.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize and be flexible in addressing customer inquiries (“what if” scenarios) and support potential ECN’s with Engineering Manager and Project management.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timelines.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects while still maintaining accuracy.
- Must have excellent computer knowledge in most Microsoft office software.