The Commercial Transactions Underwriter will lead the underwriting on a wide variety of commercial transactions, while serving as a key underwriting resource for all commercial staff. Transaction size may vary from under 1M to over 1B, encompassing single-site or multi-site properties located in all US States and Canada. You will work with a variety of clients including attorneys from large law firms, REITS, equity funds, in-house corporate attorneys, lenders and many others. In addition to the transactional work, other responsibilities may include working with management to support growth, training and technical development of the staff, actively participating in business development with the sales team, and positively representing the company in title insurance and other real estate related organizations.
Transactional Underwriting Responsibilities:
- Act as our primary contact with Attorneys, Lenders, Developers, and Real Estate companies on complex commercial transactions
- Make title insurability determinations and offer alternatives, minimizing risk yet meeting company business objectives
- Review and address objection letters, surveys, and title clearance
- Draft and negotiate policy exceptions, policy endorsements and escrow agreements
- Evaluate risk; prepare and approve high risk coverages in accordance with state regulations and current company guidelines
- “Quarterback” the transaction from commitment stage through closing to policy.
- Assist and counsel other company underwriters and staff underwriting issues
- Develop a base of clients that work with you consistently
- Actively participate in business development process - attend sales strategy meetings and customer calls
- Participate & add value to business operations decisions regarding workflow, strategy, & growth
- Represent the company as an active participant in industry organizations and at customer and industry functions that directly result in increased business
- Qualified candidates will have experience as commercial underwriters in the title industry, commensurate experience in the real estate industry, or as commercial transaction attorneys.
Other required skills or characteristics include:
- STRONG CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS AND A DESIRE TO ACCOMMODATE ALL CUSTOMER REQUESTS POSSIBLE
- Possess sound judgment and decision-making ability in assessing risk and suggesting alternative solutions
- Ability to identify, understand and articulate complex commercial real estate transactional issues
- Creativity, persistence, and resourcefulness when confronted with new or challenging issues
- Excels under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Ability to successfully juggle multiple issues or transactions
- Willingness to travel as necessary to attend closings or visit clients
- Team player with a collaborative approach and positive demeanor in all words and actions