Our client is a well-known, growth Retailer in the Mid-Atlantic market with over $4B in annual sales, over 200+ retail stores and 24,000 associates. They are a leader in their business model, and have an enviable performance track record of profitability. This CFO role offers a unique and exciting career opportunity for personal growth, leadership challenges and a "seat at the table" for all major Company strategic initiatives and continuing growth and expansion.
Reporting to the Chairman, President, and CEO, the successful Chief Financial Officer candidate will be responsible for providing financial leadership and direction to Senior Management. The CFO will provide financial support and assist Company executives in meeting operating goals and aggressive expansion plans for the future. The CFO will be responsible for defining, implementing, and managing the financial infrastructure of the Company that will, in turn, directly impact the Company’s ability to deal with the strategic and operational issues affecting the business. The CFO will be a member of the senior management team, functioning throughout the Company as a leader inside the business and will need to have an impact beyond the direct scope of their responsibility.
Major responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute an overall financial strategy designed to support short and long term business objectives and policies of the Company.
- Oversee and have final responsibility for all aspects of the accounting function including establishment and compliance of accounting policies and procedures per GAAP, NYSE, and SEC requirements, ensuring the integrity of the Company’s financial data, internal controls, and external financial reporting.
- Lead the compilation of the Company’s annual operating and capital plans as well as the long-range plan; provide financial and business decision leadership support of both ongoing business and the development of new opportunities.
- Manage the capital structure to provide capital for growth, maximizing cash flow, and minimizing financial risk, which includes overseeing the Company’s investment portfolio.
- Coordinate the ongoing financial analysis activities of the Company’s operations, interpreting and presenting relative financial data to the CEO and other executives, and making the appropriate recommendations.
- Develop and coordinate strong relationships with all stakeholders including the Board of Directors, Wall Street constituencies, banks, auditors, and regulators as appropriate.
- Evaluate finance talent and continue to build the finance team at all levels. Assess current organizational structure and develop staffing plans to support business demands. Serve as a coach and mentor to employees, giving them career-broadening opportunities.
The Chief Financial Officer will oversee a department of 53 associates and have the following direct and indirect reports:
- Senior Director of Accounting
- Director of External Reporting and Controls
- Director of Tax, Accounts Receivable, Real Estate Accounting and Treasury
- Senior Manager of Accounting Process Improvement
- Senior Manager of Accounts Payables and Cost Recovery
- Accounting Managers (6)
- Accountants (7)
- Financial Analysts (4)
- Leads and Clerks (30)
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 15 years of related accounting and finance experience in a retail publicly-traded company, preferable the grocery industry.
- Proven track record as a Chief Financial Officer or VP Finance/Controller ready to take on a CFO role with experience in running a full accounting and finance department for a recognized and reputable company in a multi-unit retail environment.
- Strong experience in and understanding of current accounting principles including SEC rules and regulations.
- Proven track record of driving financial results and is regarded as a dynamic leader and change enabler.
- Superior analytical skills and can evaluate numbers and situations for their strategic significance; able to conceptualize and analyze both problems and solutions, identifying key metrics that will help the entire organization improve performance.
- High level of comfort with IT and experience with specific information system packages including accounting, merchandising, distribution, and point-of-sale systems.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong business partnerships with executive leadership.
- Strong communicator and negotiator, capable of extending influence beyond core financial topics.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Ability to work with many cross-functional internal and external business partners.
- Collaborative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think conceptually and strategically while maintaining a results-driven approach.
- Demonstrated experience benchmarking and implementing “best-in-class” strategies, processes, and programs.
- Top Tier Intelligence: Superior cognitive ability; able to simplify complex situations; make sound judgments; research and analyze various types of data.
- Strategic Thinker: “Thought Leader”. Big picture thinker who anticipates future trends and consequences and creates competitive strategies and plans. Values innovation. Effectively blends creative competence with excellence. Not rigidly tied to one approach or philosophy.
- Drives Organizational Capacity: World-class leadership skills. Proven capability to direct and motivate a fast-paced team. Ability to establish incredibly high standards for themselves and staff and the courage to address lack-luster performers. Makes recommendations to resolve problems and issues. Ceaseless campaigner for improvement. Focus on culture-building. Motivated and capable of articulating a vision. Demonstrates empowerment and effective resource management.
- Ability to Create Followers: Engenders trust. Able to establish personal credibility quickly. Concerned for the personal and professional development of others. Demonstrates real empathy with the success and failure of others. Track record of working with others across situations. Encourages staff to bring real self to work. Understands the importance of frequent and effective communication.
- Business Savvy: Knows how to maneuver through the organization to get things done. Builds effective relationships with critical decision-makers and others in the organization.
- Strong Business Results Orientation: Passion for the business and an intense drive to understand the goals, financial targets, deliverables, and challenges the business faces to deliver results. Demonstrates a sense of urgency to overcome obstacles and achieve measurable results. Resourceful and driven. Willing to get hands dirty and personally drive projects and timelines.
- Self Confidence: Willing to take educated, fact-based risks. Courageous and comfortable advocating unpopular positions. Balances confidence with demonstrated openness to others’ ideas and gives credit where it is due.
- Superior Interpersonal Skills/Team Orientation: Ability to interact easily with all levels within the organization; tactful; mature; flexible. High level of collaboration and influencing skills. Strong planning, organizing, delegating, and decision-making abilities.
- Superior Communication Skills: Written, verbal, and presentation. Understands the importance of frequent and effective communication. Understands audiences’ needs and desires and can respond well on their feet.
- Character: Does the right thing. Highly professional and ethical with unquestioned integrity.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or related field is required. CPA and/or Master’s degree are strongly preferred.