Our client is a well-known, 2nd generation highly regarded, heavy civil utility contractor, Specializing in Roads, Bridges, Culverts, Cofferdams, Storm-drains, Utilities etc. they are an industry leader in the So. MA / No. RI area.
They have an impressive track record of high employee satisfaction and retention (a few of their people have been with them for over 20 years). Although they are based out of Rhode Island the large majority or their work is in Southern Mass.
In need of a Heavy Civil /Utility Estimator with 7-10 years’ experience. Main responsibility of this position is to perform pre-construction services, creation of hard bids, negotiated bid budgets, general conditions, system studies and comparisons, value engineering and subcontractor relations where necessary.
Must be able to work on their own, have experience with sewer lines, water lines, storm drains, urban work, water treatment plant work, sewer treatment plant work, pump station, bridges.
The Chief Estimator should also have the ability to make presentations at interviews and/or pre-construction conferences if required.
General responsibility for efficiently estimating the operations of one or more construction projects, most being horizontal construction with an occasional vertical building being included. (i.e. pump house, transfer station or utility node).
This position is an upper management position and will coordinate, co-operate and work in harmony with company Project Managers and will report to the President / Owner.
- Strong understanding of Divisions 02 (site work) 03 (concrete) 04 (masonry) 05 (metals)
- Some understanding of other divisions (6 thru 16) for occasional buildings on site
- Good knowledge of heavy construction management software
- Capable of project managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to “buy out” multi-million $$$ contracts
- Familiar with working alongside internal finance department, to keep job costs current
- Willingness to share knowledge with younger, less experienced staff
- Comfortable making “in person” appearances at various town, state, Federal presentations
- Ability to manage the estimating department as well as provide the estimating, and a willingness to mentor others in the estimating team.
Must be prepared to take initiative with little direction.
They must be proficient in the use of Microsoft excel and word. They must be able to use the formula functions and generate a spreadsheet for estimates. Experience with estimating software highly desirable.
Ability to interact with Project Managers and Superintendents to insure a thorough understanding of General Conditions.
They must be able to take contract documents, break them down, and generate a spreadsheet with will totally out the project cost.
In order to accurately estimate the project’s general conditions, the project duration must be determined. Basic schedule generation knowledge is required.
Be detailed oriented.
Compensation is a guide and will be determined by experience.
Want to know more, give me a call 617 422 0888 or send me an email colm @ construction-recruiters.com
Click here to apply online