Development of high performance adhesives for wood based panel products and industrial products. We are seeking a Product Development to support product development efforts for industrial phenol-formaldehyde (PF) resins for use in plywood, laminated veneer lumber (LVL), oriented strand board (OSB) and other industrial applications. This is a hands-on position with the responsibility for design, synthesis, and analysis of innovative polymer products to support product development strategy. The PD chemist will support efforts to bring products from conceptualization (based on customer and/or market needs) to large scale production for customer supply. The candidate is expected to be a strong team player who enjoys scientific discovery and has the ability to communicate and collaborate in an interdisciplinary environment with multiple organizational functions.
- Plan and execute projects to develop high quality resin products and to optimize production of new and existing products. This includes designing and conducting lab experiments, synthesis, analyzing chemical and physical properties, troubleshooting and optimizing factors related to product performance and production.
- Provide technical support to the production, applications, and technical sales groups in compliance with company standards.
- Participate in product design and customer meetings as required.
- Coordinate with technical sales, production, engineering, and finance personnel to support existing business.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of work results and activities. Provide technical support to the Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) team for product MSDS [SBR1] and to the Procurement team for raw material sourcing.
- Maintain a clean and safe lab environment in compliance with Arclin HSE policies and procedures. Ensure that all lab equipment is maintained and operating optimally.
Required Experience and Skills
- MS or BS in chemistry with 2-3 years of experience. MS substitutes for 2 years of experience.
- Knowledge of formaldehyde based phenolic and/or amino chemistry is an asset.
- Basic understanding of the manufacturing and engineering processes used in resin production is an asset.
- Knowledge of experimental design and laboratory equipment used to synthesize and characterize polymers.
- Ability to plan projects, prioritize and balance multiple assignments.
- Attention to detail and accuracy of work.
- Ability to document results and write concise technical reports.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computer software.