- Early Career (meaning 5 years experience)
- Must have strong polymer background
- Hands-on compounding experience
- Familiar with broad range of equipment and processes
- Plastics experience
- BS in Polymer or Material Sciences; Chemical Engineering background preferred.
Must have a good industry network built-up; high energy person who has the ability to take ownership of a project; articulate and clear communication skills to collaborate with customers and be a team player. Must be good in front of a group.
Develop, trial and commercialize new and modified compounds for proprietary sheet and packaging markets. Locate and match technical performance attributes of products to new application opportunities identified by Sales and Marketing.
Essential Job Duties
· Support, manage and/or carry out new product development programs.
· Write (or provide outlines for) patent applications.
· Creatively develop new product formulations.
· Create additive packages for commodity polymers (specifically polyolefins).
· Match new business opportunities with existing product technology.
· Carry out raw material qualifications with existing product technology.
· Maintain current awareness of appropriate advances in polymer, and process, science and technology.
· Provide technical assistance to customers.
· Support manufacturing as new technologies are moved to commercialization.
· Provide technical insight in assessment of external technology offerings.
· Identify new technologies for further investigation.
· Assist sales in capturing new business opportunities.
· Prepare and deliver technical presentations, both internal and external, to promote new product developments.
· Regular attendance
· Other duties as assigned
Intelligence – learns quickly. Demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
Analytical Skills – Able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it. Exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights.
Proactivity – Acts without being told what to do. Brings new ideas to the company.
Creativity/innovation – generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
Communication – speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including e-mail.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Polymer or Materials Science, Masters preferred
- Must have prior work experience in the plastics industry (5+ years), Chemical Engineering background preferred
- Must have strong polymer background with hands on compounding experience
- Formulations and process aides expertise
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Familiar with broad range of industry equipment and processes
· Must have a strongly developed industry network
· High energy person who has the ability to take ownership of a project
· Articulate and clear communication skills with ability to collaborate with customers
· Solid knowledge of high performance materials and blends related to Spartech products
· Substantial knowledge of polymers, fillers, reinforcing agents, thermal and UV stabilizers
· Working knowledge of compounding technologies and machine operations
· Ability to translate processing and end use performance requirements to compound formulation and sheet production
· Experience in physical testing of materials
· Ability to work in and support a team environment
· High level of proficiency in computer skills, e.g., Word processing, Excel, Power Point and Oracle
· Strong multi-tasking capability and analytical skills