R&D Chemist II
Purpose & Scope: Work in a laboratory setting to conduct research on new or existing paint formulas with minimal supervision. Typical projects the Chemist may work on are new product development or modification of existing products, raw material evaluations, benchmarking studies, sample preparations, color matching, batch process review and specification testing. The R&D Chemist II is expected to design and document all projects be familiar with all QC test procedures and factory processes. He may be required to scale-up batches and work in QC as needed.
Reports To: Research & Development Technical Director
- Work in the R&D laboratory assigned hours.
- Work in the laboratory and directs the activities of one or more technicians.
- Interact with the R&D Technical Director, sales, marketing, and vendors to develop new products or modify existing products.
- Design benchmarking studies of products and interprets the results to clearly communicate advantages and disadvantages.
- Evaluate raw materials to make recommendations on their potential use.
- Interact with production to solve manufacturing/scale-up issues.
- Conduct investigations of product complaints.
- Preform testing from standard procedures.
- Develop and writes test methods as needed.
- Develop factory tinting formulas on standard products.
- Record and organize projects in an electronic format.
- Enter or modify formulas into the formula database as needed for production.
- Work in QC as needed.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Complete any additional assignments as directed.
- Report to a Chemist III or the R&D Technical Director.
- A four year degree in a physical science and 5 years formulating experience or 10 years formulating experience
- Ability to work in an industrial laboratory setting.
- Lift 50 lbs several times per day.
- Possess ability to follow standard operating procedure.
- Possess safety habits & awareness required as a condition of employment.
- Possess skills to accurately record and communicate research results to others both orally and in writing.
Follow prescribed policies & procedures.